The News

“Can you hear me? Miss, can you tell us your name?” A voice urges me to say something. All I want to do is sink back into the darkness, where there is no pain, not like this. My arm and leg hurt with a fiery pain.
“You’re going to be okay. Can you open your eyes?” I open them obediently. All around me are paramedics and police sirens.
“Where am I? Where’s Mom and Dad?” The paramedic looks over at another and continues to tend to me.
“We have two fatalities in the accident. The girl’s lucky she survived.” Wait, two fatalities? Who could it be? I hope that it’s not my parents.
  “Hush, or she’ll hear.”
  “Hear what?” I spoke up, wondering if they’ll tell me that my parents are okay, and knowing by their silence and the heaviness in the air that it's not okay. My parents are gone.
“I’m sorry but we can’t  answer your questions now. We have to take care of you right now.  Where does it hurt?”
“My arm and my leg. What happened?”
“There was a car accident. A drunk driver ran a red light where you were at. Can you please tell me your name?”  A drunk driver? But we were at a red light, the car didn’t stop. The brakes didn’t work.
“Kelsey Hayes. My parents are Madison and Joshua Hayes. Are they okay?” My heart hammering  my chest told me that I was to blame for the brakes failing. I caused the engine to stop and the car kept on sliding because of the ice on the road. If anything happens to them-
“I’m really sorry to be the one to tell you. Your parents didn’t make it.”