The Letter

“You’re parents didn’t make it.”

The words echoed in my mind and I knew I was to blame for everything. The engine stopped because of me. I have no idea how but right before the engine stopped, I felt literal flames in my stomach, bubbling up. What  kind of monster am I?  How was I able to stop the engine like that?

The ride to the hospital passed in a blur. The next couple of days are visits from old friends and authorities. I don't talk much to anyone and I slowly start building a brick wall around myself and the outside world. By the end of my stay, I have lost my friends, greeted my new family, got a cast on my left leg, and got a small scar on my left cheek.

  I go back to my house after I’m discharged from the hospital to get a few belongings. I grab my clothes, the ribbons my mom gave me, and a few of my books.  As I'm looking through my things, I notice a small box under my bed and get it out. Inside there is a letter addressed to me and a picture of my parents when they were younger and it looked as though Dad was on fire and Mom was in a bubble of water. I wondered what that could mean so I decided to read the letter first.

My dearest Kelsey,
  If you are reading this that means that something bad has happened or it's finally time to let you know what you are. You are an elementalist. You can control all five elements; fire, earth, water, air, and time/space. This isn't necessarily a good thing. There are very few of us and there is a group of people who are looking for you. Please don't tell anyone about this. Stay low and don't trust anyone with this knowledge. You are one of a kind Kelsey, literally. There is no one who is able to control all of the elements. No one except you. I really wish I could be there to explain everything, in case I'm not. Kells, we don't want this for you, but there is nothing we can do. I really hope you decide to use your powers for the better, not for greed as others have done. Like I said, you are the only other one who can control all the elements since the last century. I love you very much sweetie, don't you forget that.
          -your loving mother