The Plane

I woke with a start and looked around for Mr. Kadam. When I didn't find him, I went to the bathroom. (pg 62 for description) I sit in my chair and found that Nilma had set up a hot lunch. She arranged the table in between Mr. Kadam and I. There was slight grooves in the table to hold our dishes with a thumbnail to let the flight attendant easily lift our plates. She lifted the covers to our dishes and announced our meal. Crusted halibut with buttered asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes, and a lemon tart for dessert. She asked what we wanted to drink and I asked her for a water with lemon. Mr. Kadam ordered the same.

We enjoyed our meal together. Mr. Kadam asked me plenty of questions about Oregon and I answered them as best as I could. When he asked if I liked having my hair in my face, I said that I felt better.

"I don't like to show my scars to everyone because they judge and it's not a good thing to be stared at wherever I go. Kids laugh at me or they run, scared. It hurts your self-esteem a lot."

"Ah, now I understand. You know, I respect you for being so brave to run back into the flames, over and over, to save people you didn't even know. In fact, I'm curious as to how others reacted when they saw you and learned what really happened."

"Not good. They were grateful to me because I saved most of my sophomore class that was at the dance. They were a bit repulsed by my fresh scars too though, so they just left me alone. All except one, that is. His name is Jacob and I couldn't get him to leave me alone. He knew my secre-. I mean, he knew that I risked myself, my life, not just by running into the flames but actually just breathing in the smoke. I was already having trouble breathing then. No one knew that I had so many health issues and when they did find out, it was too late to get close to me because I knew why they would be nice to me. At class meetings and other school events, I would always sit in the corner. Until Jacob found me." I finished my long rant with that.

"This Jacob must be a close friend of yours?"

"Not anymore. I started working at the circus and I told him to leave me alone." I shrugged off the fears and memories that were threatening to pull me under. "I'm sorry, but do you mind if we don't talk about this? It's just something I don't talk about to anyone but those I'm close to."

"That is quite alright. I understand. I did not mean to impose on your privacy."

We talked about anything and everything. He was a good listener and seemed to want to understand how I thought. I asked him many questions about India and how to use proper etiquette. Soon, we were finished eating and Nilma took our plates away and pulled the table back to its place on the wall. We buckled up in preparation to our landing in New York. I made it a point to thank the pilot for the smooth descent. I walked around the terminal for a few minutes. I tried to bring an ice flame out of me but found that I couldn't. I went back into the plane and visited Ren. Making sure that he had enough food and water for the rest of the trip, I talked with him and shared some of the stories that Mr. Kadam shared with me. I gave Ren a pat and rubbed his ear. Mr. Kadam was strapping himself back in and I went to do the same.

"Just letting you know that this will be a sixteen hour flight. If you'd wish, we may watch a movie of your choice." I nod and choose the longest one. Gone with the Wind, a classic movie. The lights are dimmed and a screen comes out from the wall.

When the movie is over, the lights are turned back on and Nilma began to prep our table for dinner. I thank her for what she's done for us so far and Mr. Kadam does the same. I shared another meal with my new employer. We talked of his country. He spoke of ancient warlords and when he told tales of his country, I felt as though I were there. We split a chocolate lava cake between the two of us.

"Why does everything so bad for you taste so good?"

After dinner, Mr. Kadam and I discovered that we enjoyed all of the same books. He also discussed some characters from Japanese literature. They sounded interesting.

I check on Ren and sit beside him. I scratched him behind the ear and pet him. I yawned and debated on taking any of my medicines. I decided not to since I hadn't had any headaches or nosebleeds. Except for when I passed out during takeoff, I was ok. I figured that it was because of new medications.

"Miss Kelsey, aren't you afraid of this tiger? Don't you think that he will hurt you?"

I jump in surprise and answer, "I know he can hurt me but I know he won't hurt me at all. I feel as though he's a friend not a wild animal." I couldn't tell him that he saved my life more than once. He really is a good friend to me and it would be awkward to explain that to Mr. Kadam.

Mr. Kadam looked curious as to what I had to say. He spoke with Nilma for a moment and she gave me my bag so I could get ready for bed. When I come back, there was a curtain dividing the area into two sleeping areas. There was a pullout couch on my side with satin covers and pillows. The plane was darkened and I was informed that Mr. Kadam would be on the other side of the curtain if I needed anything. I wished Ren goodnight and slipped under the covers. The plane's engine lulled me to sleep. And for once, I didn't dream.

I woke to the smell of bacon. I looked around the curtain and found Mr. Kadam, dressed and ready for the day. He instructed me to get ready so I could eat. I quickly took a shower and got ready, tying my hair into a ponytail with a red ribbon. I hurried back to the table and ate the eggs and toast that NIlma set out for me. I save my bacon for Ren and drank all of my toast. I felt better than what I did yesterday. I tried to freeze my juice while Mr. Kadam wasn't looking and found that I still didn't have my powers. I was getting worried.

I run my treat over to Ren and gave the pieces of bacon to him, one by one. He swallowed all the pieces whole and I warned him to eat slower. He proceeded to lick my fingers and my arm. I laughed and went to wash it off. He whined in the cage so I went back over and it seemed as though he was telling me to do something. I put my hand on his head and his thoughts went straight to me.

You need to take your medication, I don't want you to get sick.

"There is no need for me to take anything for now. I feel fine. Don't worry about me, handsome tiger." He shook himself and nodded towards the plane cargo area.

"Miss Kelsey," Mr. Kadam points out the window, "welcome to India."