The Painful Goodbye

Jacob runs out of the room before I could stop him and I freeze time so I can catch him. I jump out of bed and into the hallway where I use the wind’s help to drag him back into the room with me. I lock the room door and unfreeze everything. He keeps on running and runs straight into the door. I look at him as he makes sense of what just happened and where he was. He tries to open the door but I cause the lock to freeze and he jumps back as I heat things up a bit.

“How did you, how am I here?”

“Do I really need to repeat myself so many times?”

He sits down and I take that as a surrender and I start explaining everything. I tell him what really happened the day that my parents died and how it was all my fault. I tell him about Danel and how he’s now someone I trust. Jacob just sits in shocked silence and absorbs everything that I tell him. As I’m telling him about my nosebleeds and my life expectancy, Danel shows up.

“So, you are telling our secrets to this loser?”

“Yes. And his name is Jacob by the way.”

“Don’t care. I came to let you know that Gracie is pissed off and if I don’t kill you soon, she will take matters into her own hands. And that is something we want to avoid. So, what do you want to do?”

“I, I don’t know. I haven’t really been thinking about that, just about letting Jacob know what I am so he can leave me alone and call me a freak.”

“I think that what you do is freaky, not you though. I’m sure once I get used to the idea of what you are, then I’ll appreciate it and think, ‘Oh, I have an amazing strong, beautiful best friend that has powers.’” Jacob interrupts the conversation to put his dime in.

“Jacob, I think it would be better if you stayed out of this whole ordeal. I don’t want the little princess to be heartbroken when you get hurt because of her.”

“He’s right, Jacob. I don’t want to hurt you. I’m unpredictable and although I’ve gotten better control of my powers, I don’t want to place full confidence on myself. I know my limits and I don’t want to have another death on my hands.”

“Don’t you think you’re exaggerating a bit?”

“No, I killed my parents Jacob. There is no doubt that I will probably have another death, it’s just a matter of who it will be. I don’t want it to be you, Jacob. Please, just stay away from me so you don’t get hurt. I know you still have family, friends, people who care if you’re alive and I don’t want to be at fault.”

“Fine, push me away again. I don’t care because I’m still going to be here for you. Let me stay Kells. Let me stay by your side.”

“I’m sorry Jacob, but I can’t risk anyone else getting hurt because of me.”

“Has she mentioned that  she will be dying in just over a year? Because, in case she hasn’t, the princess is dying near her eighteenth birthday, which of course is close by. So, tell me , do you really want to stay by her side while she dies?”

“I don’t know. I want to stay by her side. I’m going against my own advice. I’ll take the risk and stay by your side Kells, because there is no where I would rather be.”

“Well, too bad, because I’m not letting you watch me die. I, can’t let you do that. Goodbye, Jacob.”

“No.”

“Don’t make me throw you out. Please leave me alone Jacob.” I turn away from him and hear the door open and close again. A doctor comes in and helps me with everything I need. Eventually, Sarah and Mike come to take me home and I rest for the rest of the day with Danel while I make a plan to take care of Gracie.