The Mistake

I hug Danel even closer to me and he strokes my hair and calms me down. After a while, I pull away and hit him in the chest. I continue hitting him until I've let out all my frustration against him. Him leaving me for a whole month, leaving me vulnerable to my own thoughts. After I calm down I look at him accusingly and wait for him to speak. He looks as though he is deep in thought. His dark blue eyes were clouded with something I couldn't describe, even if I tried.

"Princess, I understand that you're mad at me but please, don't blame me. Gracie would not let me out of her sight. She thought I would help you get away from her, which I will. I would have came sooner to see your beautiful face, but I just couldn't get away from her fast enough." He cups my cheek with his hand, "Now tell me princess, what is the matter? What have I missed out since I last saw you?"

"Well, Nothing except that Jacob probably hates me now and I have new scars. Oh, did I mention that I now have to keep a cool head because I honestly think that I am going insane. I think that I can talk to a tiger and understand it very well." I continue ranting to Danel about my mental issues until I'm spent out.

"Wow, I can't leave you alone for a month without something happening." He jokes with me and I suddenly remember that I have to leave.

"I gotta go. The circus is having dinner soon. See you around?"

"Of course princess."

I run to the dining area and sit down next to Cathleen. She tells me to wait on the ringmaster, Mr. Maurizio. He soon comes in and congratulates us on a job well done. I sit in silence and eat my fill of Italian take out. Looking at a chocolate cheesecake I know I'll never eat, I wonder if I can sneak some food for Danel.

"So, not to be rude or anything, I'm just really curious. How did you get your scars? You don't have to answer me if you don't want to." Cathleen asks me. Matt leans forward to listen and so do other circus members.

"It's ok, it's not rude to be curious. I was caught in a fire in my sophomore year of high school. The event hall where it was held caught on fire and I was helping everyone get out. I was the last one out and a beam had fallen on me. I also have a scar from freshman year where my parents and I were in a car accident, they passed on impact and I'm lucky to have survived."

"I'm sorry Kelsey. I can't imagine how hard that must be." Cathleen gave her condolences.

"I've been felt a bad hand of cards in life but somehow, I'm OK."

They looked shocked of what I've said and I realize I shouldn't have said anything like that. I laugh it off and joke around with them and after dinner, I help out and clean up with Matt.

"I didn't see your dad at dinner. Did he already eat?"

"Yeah, he was working with the dogs. I already gave him a plate. Tomorrow you'll go to the back building to help out with the tiger."

"I won't have to do anything dangerous, right?"

"Of course not. The tiger is in a cage and my dad knows what he's doing."

I nod in response and head to my cot and fall asleep almost immediately.

*****

I wake up earlier than anyone else and practice in an area far away from the tents. I hear footsteps behind me after a long while. I had been throwing shots of water at the animal troughs and heating up the area with a heat bubble. When I hear the footsteps, I freeze and turn to the side. Matt runs to me when he sees blood running down my face.

"Kelsey! Are you okay?" He takes off his shirt to wipe off the blood but I stop him.

"I'm fine, just overworked a bit. I'll be fine before breakfast."

"You sure?"

"Positive. I always work out in the mornings."

"You sure that's all you were doing?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I saw you. And it didn't look like you were working out."