The Return

After a whole week of gifts and thanks, I get to go back home. I get all the bandages taken off and I can finally walk on my own. I constantly have to watch what I'm doing and control my emotions.

Here's a little background on my emotional and physical state. I am a healthy 16 year old. Well, I was anyway. Now that my powers have been fully awakened or whatever, I have trouble breathing sometimes. I have to keep a cool head all the time because if I don't, then the school blows up in flames. Either that, or the school floods, is buried, is blown away by a tornado or something like that.

I learn how to control all the elements and manage to protect myself all through high school. I am attacked by something or someone nearly twice a week. Danel tries to convince me to turn myself in but I can't. As much as I believe that it would be better, I lose my nerve and say no.

I have no idea why I torture myself like this except, I do. I feel as though I'm supposed to have this scar across my face, as a reminder of what I've done to my parents. I haven't told anyone why I'm so silent or why I didn't bother trying to get plastic surgery to fix my face. In fact, as far as anyone knows, I'm just a traumatized teen who has been through a lot of crap.

*****

A few months have passed since the school dance and I'm facing Danel. He broke into my room again and won't let me out of his sight.

“Look, Danel, I really don't see the point of fighting. Because honestly, its not getting us anywhere.”

“How many times do I have to tell you? It's because my boss-”

“Gracie Johnson, right?”  I ask, purposely getting the last name wrong.

“James, actually. Anyways, Gracie doesn't like you all that much because you are the last elementalist out there. And you are the only one out of three people left who still have powers, only yours are much more stronger. Honestly, I wish I didn't have to do this, but you are a threat to this world.  You really are a nice girl, once you get past all the sadness that is.” At this, I give a disgusted look, “I really hate my job, but I've no other choice since Grace can take away my powers.”

“You can fight back, you know. That's what I would do. I can help if-”

I never got to finish my sentence because my lungs stalled and I couldn't breathe at all. What the heck?
“What's wrong? Can't breathe, can you?  This is just the beginning. Soon, you'll find that you have nosebleeds a lot. And right before you die, you will feel the worst pain possible. So what is your choice? Feel pain or be blissfully ignorant of what you have done?” My vision was becoming darker and darker. Danel tried to take my powers but I manage to send him to another time just before everything goes black and I feel myself succumbing to the darkness.