Chapter 15: Almost Dead

"Maybe we should go look inside?", Sara asked as Zach let go of her, allowing her to get out of the pool. "Yeah, lets go.", Zach said as he walked out of the water. He grabbed Sara's towel and wrapped it around her.

"So, where are you guys headed next? You know, you're always traveling.", Alyssa asked. Heads turned as Zach and Sara entered the kitchen. "Are you guys coming to swim or not?", Zach complained. "Yeah, we just didn't want to interrupt you two.", Jack teased. Zach automatically rolled his eyes.

Everyone ran out to the pool. Corbyn jumped in with everyone. Julia was hesitant because she thought it was cold. Jonah got out, soaking wet, and grabbed her by the waist and jumped in with a tight grip. As they surfaced, they laughed at each other and splashed. They all had fun playing pool games until a very sudden , alarming moment. Jonah had jumped in off of two chairs- the boys were trying to do stunts- and the water pressure turned on him. He couldn't come to surface because a chair fell on top of him, injuring his leg, and coughed underwater. Julia panicked and swam under to help him, but he had already swallowed too much water that he fell unconscious and floated upward finally. The boys picked him up and set him on ground. Julia jumped out of the water as Alyssa and Sara swam up to the boarder of the pool, next to his feet. Julia had tried  CPR many times, but also cried her way through.

"Call 911 now.", she cried as Zach ran inside to grab his phone. By the time he walked back outside, he was speaking to the authorities about the matter.

Julia's head was resting on his chest as she muttered, "How could I let this happen to you? You don't deserve this.", "An ambulance is on the way.", Zach said. "In the mean time," Jack worried, "We should get him onto the couch. Alyssa, Sara- grab some towels and lay them down. The boys and I will carry him inside. Julia- you stay here, and stay calm."

They all did so. After they all got dressed, Alyssa and Sara sat inside and watched him in case anything happened. Corbyn was outside hugging Julia- Jack doing the same. Daniel and Zach sat behind her. They all tried to comfort her as looked to Corbyn with misty eyes. "Better me than him. If I had the chance to go back in time and have me jump off of some chairs and hurt myself I would. Not him. I can't let him go like this. Not now.", Julia said. "Don't say that. He'll be okay. We know how much you love him and how much this hurts you. We love him too.", Daniel said. "No you don't. My good friend. Her name was Ally. We were twelve and swimming in her pool. She did the exact same thing as Jonah, the same thing happened to her, too. Within a week of being hospitalized, she passed. I'm too scared that's what will happen to Jonah. I swore on my life that I would never watch something as horrendous as that. With Jonah, I did the opposite. I tried to help.", "oh my god, I-I'm so sorry Julia I guess we- we didn't know.", Corbyn said.

Alyssa ran out. "We think he's breathing again!" She yelled from across the yard.

"Thanks for everything.", Julia said as the boys let go, allowing her to run to Jonah. His eyes weren't open, but there were definite signs of breathing. All the boys walked in. "Jonah?", Julia said. She sat down next to the couch. His eyes opened- he's blinking. "Jonah!", She yelled- relieved. He was alive. So we're the spirits of his friends- his brothers- The Why Don't We boys.