chapter one.

"tell me what you say now
tell me what you say,
come again?"

☕️🍂

Naila Brathwaite.
Friday, November 6, 2015
Seattle, Washington

Today was exhausting. Work was piled up on my desk and I just tired of how tedious it all was. I honestly just couldn't wait to finally be licensed in mental health therapy. This office job had an unnecessary amount of work for much little personal payoff, but I needed to pay the bills somehow, especially in a white, hipster, and overpriced city like Seattle. I would never call anywhere else home, though.

I've been getting excited walking into Tatiana's everyday. After work, I had some things that needed to get done before the next work day but in the past week, I've had a little eye candy to look at. We snuck glances at each other and for some reason, never spoke. Not that I really wanted to, anyway. I have enough on my mind right now.

At Tati's today, there was a little surprise at my table. Well, not a surprise really, just my regular. This was a strange occurrence because I never had ordered my drink before completely setting up my work space. I smiled a little to myself, having an idea that my eye candy, whose name was still unknown, was behind this.

Something was off about my drink today. This whole situation was sketchy, but it's just a drink at a coffee shop, right? No one would be trying to roofie me at 5 PM on a rainy Friday in the middle of Seattle ... right?

I walked up to the barista counter just to start some conversation with Allen. He started working here about 2 years ago, and I assume Tati's pays pretty well for him to still be working here. Allen was a young guy, maybe early-to-mid-20s, and he was very attractive. Quite a flirt too, but the man can make some good coffee if he's not too distracted trying to get my number. We already follow each other on Instagram so I really don't think giving him my number is that necessary. His strong features looked nice on him, and his chipped tooth in the front was cute. I wasn't really looking for anyone now, especially not a dude that has a full time job at a coffee shop. A hard pass right there.

"Hey Allen!", I said dragging my "hey" out way too long

"Hey Allen!", I said dragging my "hey" out way too long. As I had a friendly, slightly flirty conversation with Allen, exempting any mention of the drink still sitting on my table, I felt a pair of eyes on me. Or a part of me at least. I noticed from the time I walked in that the shop was quiet, almost too quiet. Today felt odd and I couldn't put my finger on as to why.

After getting tired of looking at Allen's blinding white teeth for any longer, I walked back to my table and got started on some work. I was still taking online classes that would help me get my license faster, and I was much more willing to do this than any miscellaneous office work I hadn't completed the work day before. I still felt the eyes on me and I was starting to feel uncomfortable. The shop looked empty and was definitely eerily quiet, so I don't know who else could be watching me besides Allen and he was on break right now. I stopped wracking my brain over something so trivial and finally took a sip of my drink and automatically it clicked. This shit had no sugar in it! It was actually disgusting, and to think my loyal barista would do this was appalling.