Offstage || Chapter 2

Author's Note: Readers -- what do you think is going on between Jeffery and Charlene? Do you think Michael's jealous? Enjoy this chapter!

ShonaShaniece AestheticJackson keiathegypsy michaelscrown ToniJones232  SenpaiJackson CourageFlavored

==

1986 - "Bad" Short Film Shoot (New York)

MICHAEL

Three years ago, I didn't choose Charlene for an unexpected reason. I never even told Michael Peters or John Landis why, but my heart just refused. But when I explained that Charlene wouldn't make the final cut, those two men stared at me as if I'd grown three heads. Peters dropped his jaw. Landis threatened to walk out of the room. I didn't even care and stood by that final decision. Her confidence didn't throw me off. She executed the dance routine with precision and style that almost mirrored me. She remained professional and encouraging throughout those rehearsals. It wasn't her talent. That conclusion was definite.

To be honest, I had a tiny crush on Charlene back then and didn't want to play favorites. It would've been unfair to everyone else who gained the opportunity to worked with me. Even though this woman grooved just as a hard as those around her, I still couldn't do it. Even my conscience would've nagged afterwards. Seeing her every day would've melted me, despite my best efforts to focus on the project.

Instead, I channeled nearly all those butterflies toward co-star Ola Ray. We never full-on dated of course. I used the interest toward Charlene as an excuse to flirt with someone else. The camera adored our interactions and John Landis teasingly suggested that Ola and I had been crushing on each other all along. Never, no matter how cute and friendly she was. I'd never risk dating costars in the name of professionalism.

Right now, I stood alongside Quincy and others while observing playback from the camera monitor. Charlene folded both arms while an access pass draped around her turtleneck. She had stood up against the wall as well, placing the back of her boot heel onto the solid and hardened tiles. Her long and curly hair tied back, but strands dropped around the dark complexion of her face. Both of us concentrated while searching for possible errors onscreen. Legendary film director Martin Scorsese and his expert crew just recorded a take of the dance routine I'd created with Jeffery Daniels among other talented choreographers. This man first captured my attention while he danced on "Soul Train" years ago. We soon found each other and collaborated almost every time I wanted to broaden my own dance skills. As far back as the 70's.

On the other hand, Charlene reviewed the dance routine itself. She also expressed her opinion in between. As for me, I had only two days to choreograph the dance. Even though I loved the pressure, Charlene couldn't fly here and help me before today There was only so much time we could spend filming this project anyway. Our situation first tangled when we needed to clear out the subway station. Of course, guilt reached me time and time again. I'd stopped public transportation from operating just because of my own musical work.

I glanced over for a moment and noticed Charlene mouthing lyrics to herself. Her arms still folded. I chose to avoid disrupting, but still nodded to that music for the millionth time. Seemed inevitable given the countless takes I'd done overall. When I faced her side profile once more, she'd rolled her neck as if to dance a little. A tiny grin reached my face before long. Nearby, Charlene smiled while mumbling over the blared record. Her words now faced Jeffery Daniel . These two nodded to one another, then offering a friendly handshake. I didn't know to think, but turned back to the camera monitor.

After a few more minutes, the music stopped and we all paused for lunch. Martin announced with a megaphone that filming would resume in an hour or so. I didn't mind and pushed myself away from the back wall. A catering table cornered across the room and I headed straight for the salad platter. From the corner of my eye, Jeffery and Charlene smiled at one another while collecting other food or sweets. I titled my head out of curiosity when these two even sat across from each other at one of the designated tables. Out of respect for both people, I sat down at another table with Frank, my manager.

"Hey, Champ." Frank smiled and kept that unlit cigar between his fingers. A customized sub took its place as his meal this afternoon. I grinned toward Frank while cooling dance sweat beaded onto my forehead. Everyone else mingled with their own conversations, I but I still concentrated on Jeffery and Charlene during my other glimpses.

Faint music echoed from a large sound system to curb any possibly awkward silence. Quincy waved goodbye before long and tucked both hands into the pockets of his winter coat. Designated security guards tailed behind as expected. Frank and I waved farewell. Meanwhile, I'd see Jones next year and record my next album of the same name with him. I even prayed that sales and accolades would also heap just like Thriller.

"What are you staring at?" Frank suddenly questioned my glare away from him. I shook out of this trance before looking down at my salad. When I faced Frank once more, his eyes still concentrated on me. At the same time, an amused grin crept onto his face. I quickly realized that he wouldn't let my lack of attention go unnoticed.

When I pointed in another direction, Jeffery and Charlene had left their table.