Offstage || Chapter 32

March 1988 New York ("Rollercoaster" Album Release Party)

CHARLENE

Brenda and stood back to back and flashed peace signs. Cameras snapped all over the place. When this woman stuck out her tongue, photographers chuckled in response. Musical bass thundered from inside the nightclub and spilled outwards. Tempos rumbled enough to boom my ears. In the middle of Brenda and I posing again, I almost yelped at the sight of Prince creeping behind us. With the sense of his palm touching my shoulder, I nearly cringed.

When I did turn around, Prince opened his arms. I then offered a fake hug to Skipper before long. My narrowed eyes cut toward the man for frightening me in one way or another. Brenda tossed her curls back while laughing out loud. I slapped Prince's arm and kissed my cheek. I rolled my eyes and nudged him for a second time. The entire media screamed with giggles. I turned attention right back to Brenda. There was no other choice.

Brenda Michelle waved off our foolishness and leaned in to speak to one of various press outlets. Meanwhile, I pushed Prince closer and closer to the nightclub entrance. Laughter resumed from every other photographer who observed. His low chuckles persisted with every nudge forward. Crashing this party had seriously tickled him. I'd jokingly shake him later. Enough was enough.

"Don't embarrass me." I pointed right into Skip's chest. Prince chuckled one last time before kissing the top of my head. I nudged him away and pouted with folded arms. While rhythms thundered underneath my heels, Prince smooched the air. I rolled my eyes at the sound of kissy noises. "Just Coolin'" by Levert and Heavy D pulsed in every direction. I needed a drink or something at this point. Prince just ruined my concentration for such an important evening.

In that same moment though, Prince reached over to squeeze my hand. I cut my eyes toward him once more. Space closed between us and he kissed my lips. Yet, I knew better and turned away to reach the VIP section. Brenda would join the party in just minutes apparently.

I couldn't wait for everything to really kick off tonight. Brenda earned the joy. This woman spent almost three years working on the gold itself. At the same time, I supported those tunes regardless of any music chart outcomes. Brenda's staff and "Star Power" record label executives jam-packed this area.

When Brenda finally walked upstairs, voices cheered. Brenda waved off the noise, but embraced me first. The music soon changed. Brenda and I cheesed with the biggest smiles on our faces. This woman then apologized profusely for making us wait before she entered. My thoughts switched back to Prince for a moment, but I wouldn't dwell on anything.

It wasn't long before I mingled with everyone. Mid handshake, a waiter passed by with a tray filled with wine and beer. I declined the offer and continued speaking with one of the label executives. Our chat obviously shifted toward my choreography work for Brenda and I sat down with her to resume the conversation.

Just before finishing, I looked up to find Prince staring at me. Out of respect, I bid farewell to the label executive and walked downstairs. Skip trailed right behind me on the glowing flight of steps. At a corner near the restrooms, we spoke underneath one more row of overhead spotlights.

"What do you want? I'm networking right now, Prince. Stop acting childish and find a groupie to sleep with." I folded both arms once in this tight black dress. Bass rumbled underneath my heels for the millionth time. I stepped back to open space between us.

"Sorry about earlier, I just wanted to make ya'll laugh and fix any of my own nerves. You know how much I don't like these big parties, Mama." I shook my head for a moment, but kissed his cheek. I soon remembered his distaste for the industry celebrations and we held hands once more.

Michael wouldn't even cross my mind, but I still recalled his answering machine message. While my hands fastened on hoop studs earlier that night, a beep resonated. I could hear that noise from the front room of my hotel suite. I rolled both eyes, but continued preparing my look. A limousine would arrive in minutes from that point.

"Hey, Charlene. It's Mike. I'm sorry about what happened last night, but could we talk? It's important. I'm not performing tonight and let me know when you're free. Thanks. Bye, girl."

__

I regrettably left early and headed back to the hotel. Brenda understood while hugging me goodbye. If I didn't speak to Michael in person, I'd lose it. I'd clearly dreaded phone tag in one way or another. While still dressed, I opened the door for Michael and welcomed him into the room.

Honestly, my voice sighed while closing the door behind me. I couldn't even drink a glass of wine with B and enjoy myself that evening. Michael once again planned to interrupt that overdue joy. Awkward silence fell between us at the kitchen table now and I shook my head.

"You knew I had this party, Michael. Why stop my networking? Why interfere with such a big night? I helped Brenda get to this point." I clenched my teeth while sitting across from him. One more round of silence fell between us. I didn't know what to think as anger flowed through my entire body.

"What happened last night messed me up and you just ran to Prince. Tatiana didn't kiss him. She kissed me! Why didn't you ask if I was okay, girl? You know damn well that I didn't want her. I thought you cared about me." Michael held onto his own heart. I shook my head for the millionth time.

"Stop whining and get out of my room. I've got things to do in the morning." I finally defended myself against this man and he stood up without hesitation. Michael pulled the door open and slammed it right back before long. Even my own thoughts couldn't believe his endless nagging.

I screamed into the nearest pillow.