Offstage || Chapter 30

March 2nd, 1988New York

CHARLENE

When Michael pulled away from my arms, I kissed his cheek. He refused any drinks in my nearby refrigerator and simply sat down on the couch. His eyes lowered. My heart sank all over again. I didn't know what to think, but allowed him to speak first. One more round of silence fell between us. Michael faced the darkened windows. Regardless of this dim living room, Jackson focused on peeking moonlight.

I just knew that if he looked at me again, we'd both break down. Instead, I felt when he his hand squeezed mine. His thumb smoothed my knuckle. My ears noticed when Michael softly scooted closer toward me on the couch. Mustering up the courage, I turned around to see those miserable brown eyes.

"What did I do wrong? I worked my ass off for five years and got nothing for it. And please don't tell me that anyone else was better, girl. I've heard that all night. You know it was good, don't you?" As soon as Michael finally spoke up, I almost turned him away. His voice trembled with nothing short of grief and continued disappointment.

"The organization robbed you and Prince, Mike. In the eyes of that organization, winning Grammys tonight would've seemed unfair because you already control everything else right now. Same thing with Prince. They felt it was good idea to give other people a chance, but you two could've won as well. This wasn't a normal competition. This was jealousy at best." I ranted in the lowest voice possible.

In that moment, Mike shook his head and sighed out loud. His eyes nearly rolled back just before he faced the ceiling located directly above. I then sighed out loud on my own. Michael stopped looking at me long enough to release our interlocked fingers.

At this point of the night, I would've partied away had it not been for Prince and calling my attention to begin with. There was only a matter of time before Prince would knock, if at all. He probably rounded up his own team and strategized to face the organization. I wouldn't be surprised if even a defamation lawsuit occurred.

As I've said, tonight presented a downright musical theft. My boys should've won something. Those two albums alone contained more talent and experimentation than Madonna, and she was only nominated once. That woman didn't even win for "Who's That Girl," either.

Just before Michael spoke up again, knocking echoed. I quietly excused myself and walked to the front door. At the turn of a knob, I came face-to-face with Prince. He smirked for a moment before kissing my cheek and welcoming himself inside. As a gentleman, he closed the door back for me and waved to Mike. Michael stood and walked over for a handshake. During mumbles, these two men respectfully acknowledged their own loses this even. I smiled, alone.

Near the kitchenette, we all settled over drinks. Prince had been the only one who chose water. I already poured wine for myself. Jack Daniels for Mike. Hell, he earned alcohol after encountering such a defeat. As long as he was calmed down, I'd do anything. Michael then changed the subject to Brenda and avoided further rage toward this evening. My boys would deal with the press tomorrow if need be.

"I can't make it to the album release party. There's a few shows in St. Louis after New York. I really wanna go, but tell her it's impossible. I'm so sorry, girl." Michael profusely apologized and I nodded. Brenda would understand. I gently drummed my fingers onto this wine glass and occasionally mumbled to the Anita record.

We love so strong and so unselfishly.
And I tell you now that I made a vow.
I'm giving you the best that I got, baby.
Yes, I tell you now, that I made a vow.
I'm giving you the best that I got, honey...

"That woman's gonna go number one. I've heard those records..." Prince laughed between words for the first time all evening. I lifted a glass to his water and prayed everything would succeed. The Quiet Storm station changed to another record. Michael jokingly stuck his tongue out at me for whatever reasons and I chuckled.

"What was that for? She's gonna kill the charts, Mike." I giggled once more Prince folded his arms across the table. Michael smirked with hilarious attitude. I could only imagine what crossed his mind now. Prince nudged him to press the reaction. When Jackson wouldn't respond, I fished out the ammo, so to speak.

Brenda gifted me with a demo of potential album tracks. This woman already promoted "Queen Of The Night" and "You Want This," but never revealed anything else until I gained that CD. Even Prince smirked at Michael before laughing out loud at the table. Michael would regret his own facial expressions soon enough. Prince snapped his finger to the opening beat and I stuck out my tongue at Michael. B wrote this jam called "I'm So Into You."

Boy, there you go.
You're telling me that you love me.
But boy you know.
That you belong to another girl who loves you...

By the end of that song, Michael tossed up his hands. Prince and I burst with even more laughter. We weren't even close to done with this thing. Anything could've released on the official "Rollercoaster" album, though. In a way, Brenda spoiled us all with these demos.

I've been drowning in my own tears.
Wasting time running from my fears.
When all the while you've been right here.
Waiting on me...

Mike finally gave in after only two tracks.

For a moment, we all ignored the burdens of showbiz.