Offstage || Chapter 38

1983 – The Penthouse, California

BRENDA

"Are you serious? I know her!" On this rare occasion, I'd love to play matchmaker or something. Charlene auditioned for "Soul Train" not too long ago, but didn't make the cut. I could only imagine how this woman met Michael in the first place. My smile only widened now.

I took a moment to face the closed bedroom door. Right outside, bass rumbled for whatever reason. Prince most likely snapped his fingers and jammed right now. I rolled my eyes, but continued concentrating on this phone call. There was no other choice given Michael's admission.

"Really? She auditioned for "Thriller" as a dancing zombie. Girl..." Michael almost beamed like a child at this point. I blushed all over again. This man acted so cute around women sometimes. Nothing unusual considering his timeless interaction with me. Still, I wondered if Michael would be bold enough to make a move. While cliché, the possibilities were endless.

When Michael mentioned Charlene's big-time audition, I dropped my jaw. At the same time, I cackled into the receiver. Jackson almost reminded me of a gossiping old lady in one way or another. Even his rarely heard Gary accent emerged. I just snorted through even more laughter.

"What happened at the audition? Was she one of those divas or something, Mike?" I finally calmed down to ask more questions. Michael seemed to understand our return to this serious discussion. I'd shifted into professionalism now. Silence fell between us once more. Yet, "Outstanding" by The Gap Band began playing. I proudly fought any urges to dance. Prince probably laughed to himself and braced to interrupt me again. Sadly, I'd refuse the happiness for once.

"No! She was amazing. It was scary how good she was. We were almost identical with the piece and stood right next to each other. When it was all over, I should've gotten her number or something, girl. Damn." I narrowed my eyes given the circumstances. If Charlene was almost perfect, why not give her a spot? Michael's comparison to me seemed illogical. I didn't know what to think.

"Stop comparing everyone to me. You screwed up the chance to have someone incredible for the group. Be honest with yourself." Annoyance finally crept right out of my voice. Again, there was no other choice. Michael sighed out loud on the other line. I shook my curls for the millionth time now. Charlene deserved opportunities for sure.

"Girl, I..." Michael struggled to respond at this point. I debated hanging up now. If only Michael hadn't allowed feelings to interfere with his own professional behavior. I'd never seen the man act this way before. My heart dropped from this deed. Jackson probably regretted the move before long. I understood in one way or another. Awkward silence entered the bedroom once more.

I hung up. This was his problem, not mine.

Before too long, Prince walked back into the room. I didn't know what to think as he cut off the music. He shamelessly crawled back onto the covers and drooped his curly head onto my chest. For a moment, the drama I'd previously encountered drifted away. To be honest, I never understood why Michael called in the first place. Once again, his argument toward rejecting Charlene irked me.

As for me, I'd nap with a man who cared behind closed doors. Like I've said, Prince admired me as a person when it was all said and done. Without our own drama, I felt protected and loved. Michael didn't ultimately care if he insisted constantly intruding with my own relationship. Regardless of how Prince treated me at times. Simply put, he didn't understand us as a pair.

__

California

MICHAEL

Baby Girl hung up on me out of nowhere. Silence haunted my bedroom as I stared at the nightstand. On the wooden furniture, I'd positioned a wonderful picture of Brenda and myself. In this photograph, we'd visited a nightclub together for once. After a few drinks, we settled on the dance floor. Within seconds, someone happily snapped away.

I loved holding her from behind as this woman rocked a tight black dress. Rumors swirled the next morning and Prince reprimanded me, but I didn't even care. For an evening, Brenda Michelle Hughes, the baddest woman on Earth, was mine. At least B didn't shed tears over a man.

Before B called today, I finished another meeting with my brothers after the dance auditions. We'd tour for the last time next year. I didn't want to perform with them again. Joseph hired boxing promoter and downright crook Don King to somehow publicize. Meanwhile, Mother convinced me to dodge rejecting these performances altogether.

Still, I wanted to give fans one last opportunity to see the Jacksons onstage. At the same time, I'd worked my ass off to make the show itself even remotely suitable. I'd never perform the records from this upcoming album onstage. Hell, if I never agreed to join, my brothers would fail miserably and become laughing stocks for once.

I'd only contributed a few records and everyone else offered solo tracks. My hits and the Motown classics would've encouraged audiences to attend. As usual, all the pressure was left on me. All the while, Charlene still crossed my mind. Such a talented and beautiful woman entered my life now, but I still didn't know how to react anymore. Thanks to the audition dismissal, I'd probably never see her again.

Damn. I thought to myself.