Offstage || Chapter 21

Author's Note: "Black Rose" fans, what do you think now? Sorry for the short chapter, but enjoy!

==

1987New York

CHARLENE

Bill Bray and Frank Dileo slowly backed away from Michael. I understood given my previous experiences with Jackson. Michael lifted his hood and tucked away Raybans. I stifled the biggest cackle. That poor man hadn't looked this out of place in New York since the "Bad" music video shoot. Wearing a heavy coat didn't change anything. I rolled both eyes again to stop myself from laughing louder.

On the other hand, Michael glared toward Brenda from across that street. She'd spoken to the director with animated but gloved hands. Her palms still opened or closed and never tucked into jacket pockets. Amid the earsplitting camera crew bustle, I'd still catch her somewhat thick New Jersey accent. Hughes already zipped up a jacket of her own. Those signature curls remained wild.

The camera monitor playback had stopped for a break. I quickly snapped Michael out of his trance and he soon recognized me again. I placed both hands on my hips. Michael profusely apologized. I rolled my eyes once more for obvious reasons.

Dozens of questions raced through my mind right now. How did Michael figure out our location anyway? Brenda's team somehow found enough care to promote her upcoming music video, but the location had been secreted for a while. At the same time, he was Michael Jackson after all.

"How did you find us?" I finally questioned him Michael lowered his eyes. I shook my head once more. Fortunately, Brenda seemed oblivious and still absorbed chats with the director. I tucked my hands into my own pockets now. We would start filming again soon. Meanwhile, some people, including the dancers, headed toward a catering table nearby. Brenda's team, Kelly, Reggie, and Nicole, all scowled in another corner. Nothing unusual.

"I called Brenda's publicist this morning and flew over here to see everything, girl. This is great. Michael spoke up. A grin crept onto my face for Michael. Still, I quickly remembered Kelly's arguments from yesterday's meeting. A chill ran down my spine. I could only imagine how she reacted when talking to Michael in the first place. My heart trusted that she'd been professional with Michael.

At the same time, I knew that Jackson wanted B in the first place. His brown eyes fixed onto that woman without resistance. I hadn't seen him this infatuated with anyone since myself. Yet, I knew better than to play matchmaker or something.

Michael and Brenda didn't even need me if those two wanted to hook up. As for me, Prince and I stopped playing games in bed long enough to move on. He'd buried himself in the studio once more and even our phone calls cooled down. I didn't mind and stayed in town, prepping myself for today.

"Hope you enjoy the project. It's been a long day." I headed toward the catering. Mid-step, I tied back my curly hair and walked right beside Michael. In the distance, Brenda sat alone with a plate now. At least two other chairs remained empty at her table.

Feeling a little bummed, Michael and I exchanged glances. Our steps ended up walking toward the star. She reached over to drink soda and sat up in the chair for a moment. When this woman noticed us, Brenda offered a tiny smile. She then shook out of the funk and quickly gestured for us to sit down with her. I smiled right back, gladly taking a seat with my plate. Michael picked salad, again.

"We're almost done..." Brenda smiled once more. Almost as if greeting each other didn't even matter. I understood, but still felt terrible. We'd spent the entire night here and Brenda would return to California by morning. Just like me.

"Hold up. Let's not talk about work right now, B. How are you?" I lifted my hand after praying over this food. Voices continued chatting around us. In just a few minutes, we'd start working again. Michael would most likely much popcorn while observing.

"Exhausted, but this is cool, you know? I'm actually doing something outside the studio and not modeling for once." Brenda wiped her mouth for a second and briefly shook her head before answering. As expected her accent calmed down considering our previous work. I understood in light of these circumstances. On the other hand, Michael just listened without touching his plate.

"Hey, I know that you've had a long day Brenda, but I'm really impressed. You're quite the entertainer." Michael spoke up. I cut my toward him, intrigued. He wouldn't flirt with either of us in this setting. I recognized why since Brenda and I musically hustled here anyhow.

"Thanks. I appreciate the compliment, Michael." Brenda smiled one last time before eating again. I knew for sure that exhaustion stopped this woman from keeping a chipper mood. Who could blame her? She probably wanted to just sleep after this. Flirtation with Michael had clearly drifted away from her mind.

Michael wouldn't even grin back.