Offstage || Chapter 26

1988 – "Leave Me Alone" Shoot

MICHAEL

I scooted off the edge of this sound-stage after recognizing a familiar face. Across this enormous and action-packed room, Charlene waved at me with the biggest smile on her face. As expected, this gifted woman didn't visit me in Australia as I finished the first tour leg. This year, I'd resume the madness in Kansas first. America would finally witness my own show. No brothers. No Joseph.

Now, I jogged toward Charlene and shamelessly scooped her up. While her boots stopped touching the floor, I didn't even care if everyone else noticed. Nonetheless, I missed my friend. There was nothing wrong with prompting such an overdue greeting toward one another.

Meanwhile, I almost dreaded our more than constant phone-tag and personally invited her to the set. If I couldn't see her again, my mind would jumble. Our hectic schedules already dwindled face-to-face contact long enough. I just wanted to spend so much more time with her now. Earning that trust back would not be simple, but I'd do anything. With or without romance, she meant too much.

After Charlene finally touched the floor, I rocked her during this same embrace. We mumbled throughout, acknowledging the distance. Unfortunately, I stopped hinting the aroma of her perfume long enough to pull away. From the corner of my eye, Frank stuck out his tongue to tease me. Bill snickered and winked at me right alongside my manager.

"This is great!" Charlene praised the set by flailing her hands in one way or another. I quickly adjusted the Bowler cap on my head and chuckled for a moment. As of late, I'd seen footage of Charlene teaching sets of eager dancing students. Her coaching dream had finally revealed itself. I never felt more excited and happy for anyone before.

I'd planned everything from a ragtime theater to even designing an amusement park scene. Crew members hauled other set pieces. The director and his own team still huddled in their usual groupings will brainstorming. We'd all paused for lunch as expected.

Every image of me started off as millimeter movie film. Artists even cut out photo prints for almost two weeks just to craft my featured pieces of the project. I'd never the expression of one man as he delicately cut out my hair alone at his lamp cornered desk.

Charlene and I now stood together at the catering buffet, but I soon noticed Tatiana scowling near the corner for whatever reason. I invited both women out of kindness, but still gravitated toward Charlene. As I've said countless times, I felt intrigued by her personality and determination.

On the other hand, Tatiana and her own "assistant" nearly gave up after encountering phone tag with my own team. I understood the frustrations. Our awkwardness from shooting "The Way You Make Me Feel" still prompted me to cringe. Still, I wanted to forgive this woman in one way or another.

Tatiana wasn't even a rotten individual, but I still couldn't understand her bold hugging move on set last year. So far, our visit wasn't too dreadful. Enthusiastic set photographers captured quite a few pictures of us through the otherwise long day. I didn't mind our chemistry at all this time.

For some unknown and odd reason, that woman calmed down the fan-like greetings and readied herself for each picture. As a showman, I somehow drifted into the role of a protective, caring, and flirtatious man. In short, we resembled a loving couple throughout our images.