Offstage || Chapter 42

Author's Note: After much thought, I've decided to end the story here. I apologize this entry is really short. Otherwise, thanks for the feedback and love as always. – Lavender.

==

1990 – Miami, Florida

CHARLENE

I don't care where we go.

I don't care what we do.

I don't care, pretty baby.

Just take me with you...

("Take Me With You" by Prince)

I shut down last year. No more phone calls. No more dance classes. No more music video shoots. No more clubbing. Michael and I didn't even talk. I couldn't even focus on the entertainment headlines. I only concentrated on building trust with my family. Baby brother Terrance slowly became the joy of my heart. I'd give up anything to see that precious child offer infant cackles.

Still, Mom remained distant beyond gaining happiness with her "stepson." Terrance's real mother, Janice, still wouldn't warm up to me. Even Dad stood in corners with nothing short of guilt-ridden expressions. I soon brushed off their foolishness and moved on. Given the need to uplift my own sibling, there was no other choice.

Prince had been my only confidant and suggested a flight toward one of my favorite places. Out of respect, he never revealed my personal business to the media. We roamed the beach at night. White sand curled between our nude toes. Our fingers interlocked every time my gaze stared downward. I felt at peace. Pressures wouldn't mount.

One night, we even watched "Return Of The Jedi" as if we were little kids. As if I'd never seen the movie time and time again before. We even jokingly gasped together during the huge plot twist. I've never laughed so hard with someone afterwards. When the glorious film ended, we munched on more trail mix or popcorn.

"Do I really need to leave you in the morning?" Prince curled up next to me and kissed my cheek. Silence filled the room as I blushed. We blurred the lines of friendship all over again to be honest. As mentioned, I felt safe around such a complicated man. I then looked over to find Prince staring at me with adoration. I permitted the glance and allowed him to gush for whatever reason.

We held hands once more and he kissed my knuckle for a moment. Feeling cliché but happy, I brushed off the sappiness. Our suitcases were left opened on different sides of expansive room. Clothes sprawled out in heaps for "obvious" reasons. Even a purple grand piano located in one corner.

Of course, I endured the sounds of late-night jamming on those black and white keys. Prince even offered to play a rendition of "Strange Relationship." No matter how many times Skip pleaded adorably, I wouldn't sing along with him. My terrible voice would've scarred this man for life in one way or another.

Prince laughed and kissed the top of my head before placing both snack bowls on the kitchenette table. I soon stopped hugging the pillow in my arms and finally stood to prepare for bed. We'd leave together quite early. Prince aimed to work on a brand-new project as usual. I'd visit Janet in New York for her show at The Garden of all wonderful places.

The concert in question sold out for average fans, but I'd scored a spot among the so-called elite. Janet refuse to dodge seeing me in person before the show. Especially given my reclusive circumstances. I'd called this woman my "little sister" for at least three years. Jackson deserved my respect at most.

In bed, I cuddled with the nearest pillow. Prince spooned me from behind as we drifted toward slumber.

__

New York ("Rhythm Nation" Tour)

Janet squeezed me tight backstage after performing the namesake of this very tour. Bodyguards lined the hallways beyond this threshold. I nearly cried in her arms given our distance. At the same time, I couldn't even help tearing up as this woman worked that stage. Janet executed every damn record.

Just when Janet and I pulled away, someone else entered the space. I didn't know what to think we both faced the door. Michael folded his arms. A bittersweet grin crept onto his face. One of the trademark fedora covered his curly and messy head. Janet excused herself to hug her big brother. The embrace prolonged in the name of distance and apparent joy toward one another.

I stood nearby as the backstage pass draped around my neck. It wasn't long before Michael toward me and excused himself from Janet this time. Out of respect, Michael shook hands with me and kissed my cheek. At least I didn't immediately encounter his arrogance. Fighting with right now seemed pointless. Especially considering that Janet still stood in the room with us.

"Hi. I don't know what's happened, but it's really good to see you again, girl." Michael offered the most genuine smile for once. I couldn't even protest his sympathy.

"Me too." My voice suddenly trembled. For the first time in months, I blinked away honest tears and hugged him.