Offstage || Chapter 37

February 15th, 1989The Wedding (New Jersey)

MICHAEL

One phone call later, Charlene and ended up going together. We both swallowed pride and didn't want to upset Brenda. Prince unexpectedly accompanied the couple's first dance by singing "When Two Are In Love." The piano twinkled gorgeously over his falsetto. Charlene and I looked on with honestly wetting eyes. At least I could move on knowing that Baby Girl was finally happy Craig loved Brenda so much.

Meanwhile, Brenda probably hadn't grinned this widely since I walked into her life. We all howled through laughter when she smashed cake right into Craig's face. The "play-flight" end with an adorable kiss. While the couple and guest partied on that now crowding dance floor, I stayed back with a glass of Champagne. Poor Charlene held back too, just keeping me company. Still, I knew she wanted to dance otherwise.

Very superstitious, writings on the wall.
Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall.
Thirteen-month-old baby, broke the lookin' glass.
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past
...

Right now, wonderful music by Stevie encouraged all to grin. At our table, Charlene and I nodded heads to that iconic record. Brenda screamed lyrics to the ceiling with her mother and sister. Brenda almost resembled an angel by choosing this while long-sleeved and shoulder-pad number. Charlene and I nearly shivered outside as snowflake sprinkled from the heavens. Still, Brenda never even cared. We all walked into the ceremony, just grateful.

Between the continued dancing Craig and Brenda stopped by to visit us. I immediately stood and shook his hand. Believe it or not, this man chiefly produced Brenda's first album "Rollercoaster." Before long, those two hit it off obviously. I could only imagine how Prince felt back then. Especially given that Craig and B worked on the record for at least three years before the official release.

I respectfully kissed Brenda's cheek. Charlene walked around the table to offer the most emotional hug. Make-up for the ladies smeared. Moments later, Craig and I jokingly giggled in response. As the music changed to another song, Craig then pulled me aside for a second.

"Thanks for coming, man. I know that it probably took a lot for you to do it." I didn't know what to think while his voice lowered. People around us continued music over the pulsed rhythms. Brenda's sister Jazmine hoisted on a toddler and one hip and he smiled while lightly gripping onto her finger. My heart swelled with joy.

"No problem. Congratulations." I offered another handshake to Craig. He nodded and noticed his brand-new bride between glances. I'd never seen a man grin so bashfully before. It didn't take long for me to see that this was real. No games. No pretense.

Regardless of how I felt about Charlene, only Diane (Diana Ross) prompted me to smile the way Craig gushed right now. I'd known for years the man in question never really displayed a sentimental outlook. Only masculinity and skill projected from him until recently. Now, producer and musician Craig Wallace raved over the most beautiful woman. Every chance he got.

That could've been me. I thought to myself.

__

1983The Penthouse, California

BRENDA

B,

Call me when you've got a chance. I need some advice.

-Mike

I didn't know what to think of Michael's simple message, but planned to call. Prince stopped touring with "1999" and finally stopped playing around for once. Right now, he strummed a guitar while sitting up against a mountain of pillow. Shirtless of things to be. I didn't think much of his gestures, but laughed as he tried to steer me away from the phone.

His kisses lurked behind me and I snorted through giggles while falling back onto the bed. Comfortable silence fell between us despite my giggles. My heart melted. When Prince didn't cheat or act foolish, I honestly found my best friend. The king of my heart.

"Stop. I have to make a phone call." I laughed once more between his extra kisses. I snorted for the millionth time as his lowered voice reassured me. Jokingly fed up, I placed myself onto this man and pinned down his bare arms. My curly mane shadowed his own tiny mustache. "

Um, no." Skip protested me. Before long, I chuckled against his lips. Avoiding Michael once more, I kissed my king instead. Before anything could escalate, the phone obnoxiously shrilled. I knew it was Michael. I rolled my eyes on top of Prince and willed myself away.

Behind me, my baby pouted and even jokingly whimpered. His kisses sounded off my back just as I picked up the phone. His gentle palmed nearly cupped my shoulders and then wrapped around me. Still, I somehow concentrated on speaking with Michael. There was no other choice given his message from earlier.

"Hello?" my voice trembled into the receiver. I nearly dropped this phone. In that moment, Prince finally stopped. I regretted his choice in one way or another, but understood. I needed to focus on Michael once more. We'd chatted time and time again, but this seemed serious.

"What's wrong?" Michael asked concerned.

"Nothing. Prince just distracted me. I got your note. What's going on?" I shook out of the trance.

"Oh..." Michael trailed off. "Um, could you please help me?"

"What happened?" I narrowed both eyes while sitting on this bed.

"I...I met someone today, girl." Michael struggled to speak up. I didn't know what to think right now. Prince walked out of the bedroom.

"What's the problem?" I obliviously smiled for Mike at this point. We weren't even together, and Michael knew that I was "serious" with Prince these days. What

"She reminds me too much of you." Michael shivered vocally again.

"What do you mean?" I narrowed my eyes once more. 

"Her name's Charlene..." Michael whispered.

I dropped my jaw with an enormous smile.