Offstage || Chapter 23

Author's Note: "Charlene" choreographed 3:12-3:29 of Janet's iconic video! Enjoy this chapter.

==

1987California

CHARLENE

Michael finally released his album and the world shook. Jackson mania kicked right back into overdrive. I found myself hearing every song on radio station, but nodded along each time. On my way to a meeting with Paula Abdul, both "Dirty Diana" and "Just Good Friends" played back to back. I rolled my eyes, but smiled. There was no other choice. To be honest, I enjoyed the album more than Thriller. No doubt lingered in my mind.

I agreed to meet Paula at this undisclosed dance studio. I quickly suggested the location due to my distaste for formal business meetings. Those rounded tables discussions reminded me too much of those Kelly Dawson screaming matches. Paula agreed and quickly changes plans. That arrogant and ungrateful personality of Kelly spread like wildfire once Brenda's video failed. In one way or another, I hoped that Kelly would finally realize the depth of her own mistakes.

The tote bag on my shoulder nearly swung as I walked down this hallway. From a distance, "Control" rumbled underneath my sneakers. That studio door had been cracked open just a little. A smile reached my face as I jogged forward and poked my head inside.

Paula's brunette bangs whipped toward me mid neck-roll and this woman almost gasped. I snuck out of my tongue jokingly and dropped the tote back onto that glossy floor. At the sound of its thump, Paula laughed between catching exhales. I titled my head and reached out to shake hands. She quickly noticed the gesture, reciprocating.

Paula had worked with the Jacksons countless times and I found myself watching one of Janet's videos, fascinated. We first met on the phone once I jumped hurdles to contact. She learned of me thanks to Soul Train, of course. In short, we both respected one another.

Paula then cut off the music. I shut the door behind me. Informally, we planned to sit on the glossy floor and just talk. I still wondered if she had views about my current fiasco with Brenda. I so, I could only pray that this woman wouldn't judge. After all, B's team seemingly ruined everything. First, who even schedules a video-shoot at the last minute? Kelly, of course.

"How are you?" Paula hugged her knees. I uncapped a water bottle. It wasn't long before Paula lowered her head and faced me with sad eyes. I almost pouted. Silence fell in the room. I didn't even know where to begin.

"Honestly, I don't feel empowered anymore. I need something to do and no one is giving me a chance. I wish this video didn't blow up in our faces. B is so talented, and we worked our asses off to make this thing." I wouldn't cry, but at least felt disappointed.

"Brenda needs a fresh team, but that would cause another media firestorm. Kelly would probably lose her mind based on what you told me." Paula chimed in. I immediately nodded. Knowing that B would succeed without the foolishness, I couldn't believe that she wouldn't fire anyone officially yet.

__

I left the meeting knowing that Paula would gladly include me when possible. On the other hand, I still considered returning to Soul Train. At least Don Cornelius offered continual work. I could entered my home knowing that something had been accomplished for the day. I loathed inactivity most of the time, especially in view of my nagging thoughts.

Once home, the answering machine flashed red as usual. Its beep rang through my living room as I zipped open the tote bag. Within seconds, Janet unexpectedly answered. I quickly hurried to sit back down on the couch while she spoke. I didn't know what to think.

"Hey, Char. It's Jan. I've heard so much about the problems you've had recently and wanted to reach out. I'm sorry. You and B are amazing and neither of you deserve this, all right? Remember how brilliant you are, okay? Anyway, I have a proposition for you. Choreographer Barry Lather and I put some great work together, but I'm missing something. I'm shooting this project for a song on the album called "Pleasure Principle." If you can find other cheregraophy to put in for this song, call me tonight. Talk to you soon. Bye."

I immediately dropped my jaw and thanked the heavens. Janet came through with a miracle. Without hesitation, I rushed toward my album collection to find "Control." With an eager finger, I skipped straight to the record in question. After pausing to curb my timing. I raced the closet in my bed and yanked another set of flexible attire.

Minutes later, I slipped kneepads onto these shorts and mentally prepared myself. When the bass finally kicked in, I found myself stretching out and scooting on my sneakers. At one point, a light turned off in my head. I pouted to the music while nodding and wiggled my way into this budding dance routine. These moves would cue immediately after one of the numerous verses.

I know, what you mean to me.
Baby, this is nowhere.
You know what came in between you and me, human differential.
Sa dat dit dit, baby...

By the end, I called Janet with a heavy voice and drenched body. We both squealed like children on the phone when I agreed. We'd met up on set tomorrow. I'd greet Barry for the first time as well. For once, I could go to sleep without feeling sluggish or useless once more.

Nothing could stop me this time.