Chapter Thirteen:

Katniss

The days went by in a blur. I slowly regained strength, so much that I was finally able to stand on my own. Every day my primary doctor who's name I hadn't bothered to learn examined me, and I could tell they were waiting to clear me. Coin obviously had a plan for me as mockingjay.

The baby continued to kick throughout the days, which my doctor told me was a good sign of strength and health. To me, it was an unwelcome reminder that Peeta was gone.

After about a week since I saw Coin my doctor cleared me, for what I wasn't sure. They simply told me my vitals were back to a strong level, the baby was in a healthy position, and the only thing wrong with me was my mental disorientation.

Prim visited me often, whenever she could break away from her busy schedule. She was currently living in a compartment which she shared with my mother, who visited me but not as often as Prim.

My mother has been given a job as a nurse in Thirteen, which was a step down from what she did in Twelve, but she didn't complain. Prim was also helping out in the hospital, but mostly with me as she was the only person that I would listen to.

"President Coin wants to see you," Prim told me during one of these visits.

I frowned, knowing this was coming. It'd been only one day since I was cleared, of course this was coming. "Do you know what about?"

As far as the mockingjay front, there hadn't been much updates. I'd been given a script to rehearse which Plutarch had deemed my performance as horrid and told me that he would continue brainstorming ideas. I didn't mind as that allowed me to rest, but that had quickly come to an end.

Prim shook her head. "Her assistant didn't tell me."

"I'll help you get ready," Prim offered, seeing the distaste in my expression. I sighed and allowed Prim to help me up and out of my medical gown and into the baggy jumpsuits that served as the uniform of District Thirteen.

After I was dressed I said goodbye to Prim and stumbled to the room I knew to be command. I shoved open the door, which revealed Beetee, a man who introduced himself as Boggs, Coin, Gale, Plutarch, and Haymitch all leaning over a map of Panem.

My eyes narrowed at the sight of Haymitch. Even the mention of his name made burn with anger, with the thought of how he chose to save me, not Peeta. How he had completely lied to me and ignored our deal.

He seemed sicker than the last time I saw him on the hovercraft. His face wasn't full of scratch marks from me anymore, but he appeared sickly, most likely due to Thirteen's strict no alcohol policy.

Plutarch looked up from the map and smiled at me. "Katniss! Take a seat, please."

He gestured to the table and chairs they were all huddled over. I reluctantly joined them, avoiding eye contact with Haymitch.

"So, what do I need to do?" I asked. Plutarch frowned. "This is mockingjay related, right?"

Plutarch nodded. "Yes, but—"

"We need to send you to District Eight," Coin interrupted. She was more straight to the point than Plutarch, which I appreciated. That was probably the only thing that I liked about the woman.

"To do what?" I asked.

"To let people see you," Coin explained. "The last time the public saw you you were dying in arena, that's not how we want people to remember you. There was also just a recent bombing in Eight and support is wavering. We want you to rile the troops, strengthen support for the rebellion."