Sick

Y/N's POV

I sat in the hospital for what felt like hours, despite the fact that it was actually a minute or two. Bags were forming under my eyes from my lack of sleep. The stress I had currently been going through had forced me to adopt insomniac-like habits. I sat in the busy waiting room waiting...

and waiting...

and waiting...

"(Y/N) (L/N)?"

I look up to see a man with a brown goat-tee and short brown hair, wearing scrubs and a lab coat.

"That would be me." I stated as I stood up.

"Follow me please."

I followed, as ordered, and looked around at the hallways. The young, old, injured, sick are the ones who need to be in this building...

It's hard to believe I'm one of them...

We entered a vacant room that had a full glass wall that overlooked the rest of Vale. The only furniture it had was a small table and two chairs. We took our seats before we started to converse.

"Well," the doctor started," There's good news and bad news."

"Please, get on with it." I told him, "I don't mean to be rude, but I hate cliche statements."

The doctor looked at some papers before handing over a file.

"Okay then, simple it is."

I opened the file and looked at the long list of conditions and prescriptions.

"You have a limited time left here, (Y/N)."

I already knew I was dying, the only reason I really needed to come here was to find out why, and how to postpone it.

"Luckily," the doctor explained," You have until you're at least twice your age now."

"So I have another 17 years to live?" I asked him.

"Exactly, you'll most likely be 34 when you die."

"I can do math, but thanks."

"I'm well aware of your capabilities, Mr(L/N). As well as one other, and because of it he's formed an interest in you."

"Well, explain to him I don't swing that way."

The doctor laughed.

"Not like that. He has a question for you."

"Tell him to ask me himself."

"That's why I'm here." an unknown voice declared.

I turned around to see Headmaster of Beacon, Professor Ozpin, standing in the doorway.

"Well?" I asked him.

"I've spoken to your parents, and we've discussed your desire to become a huntsman. Why haven't you applied for Beacon yet?"

"My semblance, which you're probably aware of, makes it... difficult to fight without the help of someone else."

"That can easily be fixed," Ozpin explained," Beacon is based on partnership and teamwork.

I looked down at the file again.

"Now, the question is (Y/N)...." Ozpin started," Are you going to spend the rest of your life fulfilling your dream to cleanse this world of threats, or are you going to wait it out until it's over?"

I looked up at him with fire in my eyes, adopting a cocky attitude as I spoke.

"You already know that answer."

Ozpin smirked, taking a drink from his coffee mug.

"I guess I'll be seeing you in a week then." He said, walking out of the room.

[Timeskip]

I was walking home, it was dark. I held a black case in my right hand. Despite being sometime in the spring, it was pretty cold out.

I guess that's what I get for only wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a jacket. I thought.

Wanting to get home quickly, I had decided to take a shortcut through the forest. Sure, it was infested with Grimm, but when adrenaline kicks in, you're much faster than you think.

Walking along the trail I heard a bush rustle to me left, as well as a growl somewhere to my right.

Aah shit...

I put down the case and looked around calmly. I ducked when a Beowulf jumped out of the bushes.

"Well tough guy, let's see what you've got."

After a lot of ducking and attacking, I had taken out the entire pack. It may have been small, but it was the hard work that I was proud of, not the numbers.

"I should probably rush back before anything bigger comes my way." I told myself, picking up the black case, and then my pace of movement.