Ruby Rose

Ruby's POV

It was nighttime, we had all gotten ready for bed. I watched as (Y/N) left the bathroom with the black case.

"What's in there?" I asked.

"I'll tell you some other time." He responded tiredly.

"Oh, okay."

Tired myself, I fell asleep.

The next day I felt great. I stretched before getting out of bed. I jumped down, gathered my clothes and went into the bathroom to change. When I got out, I almost ran into (Y/N).

"Oh, sorry." I told him.

"It's cool." He responded, ruffling my hair. For some reason my heart fluttered and my face heated up. I decided that I would ask Yang what it meant later.

[Timeskip]

It was lunchtime, so I sat next to Yang. Luckily, no one else had gotten here yet, now would be the perfect time to ask.

"Hey Yang?"

"Yeah Rubes?"

"I have a question."

"Shoot."

"This morning, I ran into (Y/N)."

"So?" she asked.

"Well, after I apologized he said it was fine and then he ruffled my hair."

"My previous question still stands."

"When he did, my chest felt weird and I started blushing for no reason, do you know what that means?"

For some strange reason she started laughing.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"You like him."

"I know."

"No, I don't think you understand me. You like like him."

I started blushing.

"What do I do?" I asked her.

"Ask him out, that'll decide if he's just a crush, or..."

"What?"

She smirked as she spoke in a teasing tone.

" if you looove him."

I punched her in the shoulder.

"Stop it." I told her.

She laughed before speaking again.

"But seriously, ask him out, he's a cool guy... not to mention hot."

"Fine."

Y/N's POV

I was walking in the courtyard when I heard footsteps heading my way. I turned around to see Ruby.

"Hey."

"H-hi (Y/N)"

I looked at her strangely, she hadn't been this shy since I first met her.

"Is everything alright?" I asked her.

"Y-yeah, it's all good."

She kept walking beside me, not speaking at all. That was until,

"(Y-Y/N)?"

"Yeah?"

"W-would you l-like to go downtown with me?"

"Sure."

Hearing this, she became really happy.

"Thank you!"

"So, when do we leave?" I asked.

"We could go now if you want."

"Okay."

We walked to the airships and hitched a ride to Vale. We started walking down the street looking for anything interesting, but I knew what would happen the moment we got in front of a dust and weapon shop. Ruby took a sharp turn to the right and entered the building. I chuckled to myself and followed her in.

She looked excitedly at magazines of new weapons and parts. While she was distracted I made my way over to ammunition and bought a couple packs of rounds for her. I then went to the counter, where the old man that I had seen in front of several different businesses was standing.

"I'll take this and... do you have what I ordered?"

He nodded his head and took something out from under the counter, a small box with pills of different dusts.

"May I ask what they're for?" he asked.

"My semblance, I can turn into weapons."

"Interesting."

Ruby walked up behind me, and I turned to hand her the ammunition.

"Here, I got this for you."

She blushed lightly, taking the small bag from me.

"Thank you."

The rest of the night was more walking, eating cookies, and more weapon shops. I payed for most of it, being the nice friend I was. When it started to get late, we decided to walk through the park to get back to Beacon. It was pretty quiet, until Ruby spoke.

"Thank you."

"For what exactly?" I asked her.

"Everything, spending time with me, the gifts.."

"You're welcome."

"(Y/N)?"

"Yep?"

"I... nevermind."

"Come on, you can tell me. What's the worst that can happen?"

Ruby stopped walking as she looked at her hands, which she was fiddling anxiously with.

"You could stop talking to me.... I don't want that."

"Neither do I." I told her, "Which is why I promise that I won't do that."

"Well, in that case.... (Y/N), I like you. A lot, more than a friend."

Sure, I was a little shocked by this information, but it wasn't like I couldn't handle it. I hugged her, and eventually she hugged back. I pulled away and looked into her eyes as I spoke.

"I'm sorry for having to say this, but we'll have to stay as just friends. There are ....things that are happening in my life, and I don't want you to get hurt."

She sniffled as tears started to form in her eyes. I hugged her again.

"At least I won't stop talking to you." I said.

This caused her to laugh. She left my embraced and wiped her eyes with her sleeves, still sniffling.

"That's nice to hear."

We kept walking, and eventually made it to Beacon. opened the dorm room door for her and followed her in. I grabbed pajamas and went into the bathroom.

"I'm gonna take a shower." I told everyone.

Ruby's POV

"So, how'd it go?" Yang asked me.

"It was nice." I responded. "But we decided it would be better if we just stayed as friends."

Yang looked at me strangely.

"Why's that?"

"He said it was complicated."

"Well, at least I know he's up for grabs." She said with a smirk.

"YANG!"

Author's POV

Little did everyone know, that exact same thought was coursing through the mind of a certain heiress as she smiled to herself, reading her book.