Petals Scatter

Y/N's POV 

I groaned as my alarm went off, I tried to hit the 'sleep' button, but something was holding me down. Yang's head was resting on my chest, so I tried stretching out my arm without moving my body, successfully shutting it off. I returned to my original spot, putting an arm around Yang as I kissed her forehead, smiling. She nuzzled closer to me, but wasn't awake yet.I almost started falling asleep again until.... 

"(Y/N), are you up yet?" Ruby had opened my bedroom door just wide enough to stick her head in. When she saw Yang and I under the covers, her face contested her cape. 

"Oh... S-she put the move on you, d-didn't she?" 

"No actually," I spoke softly to her, 

"She passed out before we left the bar." 

I managed to wedge Yang off of me without waking her up. Leaving the bedroom and closing the door behind me, I kissed Ruby. 

"Mornin'." 

"G-good morning." she said shyly, holding out a glass of water and my pills for me. 

"Thank you." I took my pills and turned to her. 

"So what brings you here this early?" I asked. 

"I-i don't know... I was....bored?" 

"Oh, so I'm only here for your entertainment?" I teased. 

"Yes...No! Wait,I-!" I shushed her, putting an index finger to her lips. 

"It's fine." I laughed softly. The laughter changed to coughing, and I took a step back from Ruby. I coughed belligerently, only hoping for my medicine to kick in. It slowly started to cease, but it had still taken 5 minutes from my conversation time with Ruby. I decided to carry on, as if nothing had happened, and went to the kitchen to pour myself some cereal. 

"(Y-Y/N)?" Ruby beckoned. 

"Yeah?" 

"W-what are you dying from?... If you don't mind me asking...." 

"I don't know. At this point, It's a waiting game..." 

The honest answer didn't seem to do much justice, and it brought tears to her eyes. I left the kitchen, and approached her, putting my arms around her. 

"Ruby... I still have 17 years... that's a lifetime....Quite literally, in my case." 

This only seemed to make it worse. Her eyes seemed to flood as she sobbed into my chest, and all I could do was hold her. 

"I...I-i just don't like the idea of you leaving me...." she cried. 

I leaned back, lifting her chin as to make her look into my eyes. 

"It's okay. In that time they'll be doing research. Probability says they'll find a cure, so there's nothing to worry about." 

She seemed to calm down after hearing this. 

"Y-you're right... I'm crying over nothing." I hugged her once more, before returning to my breakfast. 

"How about this? I finish eating, then you can lay with me on the couch?" 

This led to Ruby practically laying on top of me on the couch 4 minutes later. 

"(Y/N)?" 

"Yes?" 

"How is marriage going to work?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"Well, legally, you can't marry all four of us..." 

I smirked as I looked down at her silver eyes. 

"If we go to Vacuo, they'll do it, no questions asked." 

"Seems kinda shady." she said humorously. 

"Well, there's no limit to what I'd do for you girls." 

It'll be your downfall..... 

I shook my head, trying to get rid of that voice again. 

"You okay?" 

"Yeah, I just.... felt weird..." 

Ruby nestled her face in the crook of her neck. "Can I tell you something?" 

"Anything, Rubes." "I'm with you, on the whole.... group relationship thingy. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it..." 

"Are you concerned about what others would think? If that's the case, I could just, you know, knock their teeth in." "

No, it's...Let me restart. You said, 'I have to divide my attention into four, so I'm not sure if you realize that I won't be able to be with you individually all the time', so I can't help but think that what you and I have, just the two of us... does it not count as a complete relationship?" 

"I'm sorry, I don't quite follow." 

She sat up and looked at me. 

"There are four of us, your attention and care is divided." she stated flatly. 

"Yes." 

"Doesn't that mean what we have, not counting any of the others, is one fourth of a relationship?" I wanted to laugh, I really did. Something as simple, yet still complicated, as love was just turned into a practical math equation. 

"In theory, yes." 

Before I could say, 'but that's not quite how love works', she bolted out of the dorm. 

"What the fuck have I done..." I sighed. 

You proved me right.... 

"Shut up..." 

Yang came out the bedroom, confused and obviously with a headache. 

"What just happened?" she groaned. 

"I upset Ruby." 

Yang sighed as she sat down. "Give her time. She tends to lock herself up before talking about things." 

"Really? That doesn't seem like her at all." 

"She only does it if it's really serious. You should've seen her 'angsty teen' phase." she chuckled. 

"She had one of those?" 

"Yeah, it was around the time she started to realize just how screwed up our world is, and it was then that she started visiting mom's grave daily." 

I sighed. 

"I just hope she's not too upset." I told Yang. 

"Just don't push her, and she'll be fine. I don't know what would happen if you went after her before she was ready, but I have a feeling it wouldn't end well......"