L is After Beyond Birthday

"Why do you keep checking your watch?" - Naomi Misora

Naomi Misora sighed for the seventh time that day, on August fourteen, as she glanced at the weird detective Ryuzaki from the corner of her eyes.

Even though she hates to admit it, the man was smart. Really smart, and probably a prodigy at numbers. Despite that she could only get bad vibes around him, he was a creeper.

If the world was divided between who should die and who shouldn't Naomi was sure the man would fit into the former.

She wasted no time in dismissing herself when it seemed like he had nothing more to say to her.

As she was walking in the downtown she felt her phone vibrate in her pockets. She flipped her phone open. 

"Hello?"

"It's me."

"L..." Naomi muttered in surprise before coughing, "I've just-"

"I know." 

Rude much? 

"Before you report your findings I want you to contact the number I'm about to send to you. A girl named Sayu Yagami will answer, you will ask her to help you with the investigation."

"Why?"

"Because Sayu was the last person who contacted the second victim, Quin Quan, she might be a lead. Of course the police doesn't know about this."

Naomi fought the urge to ask the mysterious detective how come he knew, but decided against it in the last moment. 

"Understood."

And with that L hung up without a goodbye. Immediately Naoimi received a number via text. She didn't waste anytime to press the dial button. The phoned ringed maybe twice before a girl's voice greeted her. 

"Good afternoon?" the girl spoke in Japanese.

"Hello, is this Sayu Yagami?" she asked politely.

The girl on the other side quietly muttered something to someone else in another language, but Naomi couldn't pick up on it. 

"Yes? To who am I speaking?"

"My name's Naomi Misora."

"Well, that explains why your Japanese is so fluent, miss."

Naomi smiled slightly to herself, it was good that her language skills were acknowledged from time to time.