chapter 3

Emily's POV

Here I am. An actual college freshman attending Pepperdine University on a swimming scholarship. Its been a month since I left Rosewood, well lets just be honest, since I left Alison. I haven't spoken to or tried to reach out to her since I left. I know she may be hurt how I walked out on her apology but if I would've listened any longer I might not have made my way here. Its so beautiful here. I am still trying to find my way around this huge campus but there is a beach only five miles from the school which I love to go to relax. Of course, being by the water calms me. I work at a small drink shop on the beach to help me pay for living expenses since I decided that living on campus was not for me. Out of the girls I only really talk to Hanna since we all went our separate ways.

As I leaving the drink shop after my shift I am stopped by my coworker Alexa. "Hey Emily, wait up," she comes yelling from the end of the shops parking lot. Hey Alexa, what's up? "Me and a few of the girls want to go dancing tonight. Why don't you come? It will be funnnnnn," she says dragging the n on fun and pulling and dancing with my arm. "I don't know Alexa I have to get up early tomorrow, " I say trying not to blush. "Come on Emily, you never come out with us. Its teambuilding," she says with a wink which gained a giggle from me. "Alright, Alright, I say, but let me go home and change 1st and I will meet yall there. "Ok cool, see you in a bit," she says running off.

As I start up my car I notice I have a miss call from Hanna. Ugh I can hear her now upset because I missed our weekly phone chats. I put the phone on my dashboard stand and face time her. After one ring she picks up.

"So, this is what we are doing now? Are you really trying to flake out on our phone time Emily Fields,"  she practically yells at me. Well hey to you too Hanna Banana, I say with a chuckle. "Don't Hanna Banana me," she spits with a pout. "I'm sorry Han. I was leaving work and got stopped by my coworker Alexa to go out dancing tonight," I try to explain. "Em has a hot date, thank God," she says throwing her head back. "I thought you were gonna stay stuck on Alison the whole time you are out there the way you were acting when we left Rosewood,"

*Flashback* Emily POV

I run out the Brew, jump in my car and drive to the next block and just sat there. As tears roll down my face I pick up the phone and call Hanna. "Girl, I just saw you, what do you want?" she says letting out a giggle. I remained silent. "Hey Em, are you ok," she questions with concern in her voice. "Han, its really done. It's really over. I just walked out on her apologizing for everything. I couldn't listen Han, I just couldn't,"  I say trying to calm my breathing while tears stream down my face. "It's ok Em. Maybe this is for the best. You are getting a fresh start. You're going to a new city where you can find you another blonde, ocean blue eyed hottie without all the baggage," she says trying to lighten the mood. I laugh a bit. "Thanks Han. "No need for thanks, she says, I am always here for you."

*End of flashback*

"Shut up Han. This is just me going out with some coworkers to go dancing," I say with a smirk. "Yea and one of those coworkers that you think is really hot, oh I remember that drunk dial Em," she laughs. I don't know what you are talking about, but I have to go get ready. "Yea rush me off the phone now, huh," she says still laughing. "Bye Hanna," I say trying to get her off the phone. With even louder laughs, "bye Em," she says and disconnects the FaceTime. Hmmmm, now what to wear???

Alison's POV

It has been one whole month since the girls left for college. Its kind of strange being in Rosewood alone without the girls. Jason, my brother, came home for a while. He said he would stay with me in the house and help me keep it up for my 1st year of school since I was all alone. I am grateful to have someone still around, especially it being Jason. I smile at the thought of how close we have gotten since he's been back. But God, I missed Emily. We haven't spoken since she walked out on me that day at the Brew. I guess fate really wasn't on Pip and Estella's side, or our side either, as she said.

"Earth to Ali," Jason says waving his hand in front of my face. "Huh? Oh sorry Jason I didn't hear you come in. "Ali,  you have having these zone out sessions for over a month now. What is going on," he asks. "Nothing, I say looking down at my feet. I have to get ready for school. I hear him sigh as I run up the stairs to my room. Once I walk in my room, I am hit with so many memories between the girls and I. But mostly the memories of Em and I hit me the hardest.

*Flashback*

As I lay next to this girl that I am beginning to come to grips with my feelings for, I can't help but have the urge to hold and kiss her until we fall asleep. "Ali, are you asleep?" she asks. Man, its like she read my mind. Should I act like I'm sleep or should I answer? I decide to just turn around and look into those chocolate brown eyes of hers. I swear I can get lost in them. I feel her warm breath on my face and I begin to feel butterflies in my stomach. She slowly comes towards my face looking at my lips and then softly she kisses me. At first, I don't kiss back due to shock of what is really going on. But as I begin to melt under her, feeling her soft lips pressed against mine, I begin to get lost. I kiss back with so much passion and lust. The kiss was beginning to get heated when I pulled away. "Em, I just got back. I don't want us to do something we may regret later." I can see the fear and hurt in her eyes after I said that. "Can you hold me?" I say so she doesn't think I am regretting that kiss because I pulled away. Trust me I want this morning than anything. Its just not the right time. She wraps her arm around my waist and pulls me into her placing a soft kiss on my cheek. "I love you Emily," I whisper not loud enough for her to hear. Even though I secretly hope she did.

End of Flashback*

I shake out of mythoughts, grab my school bag and head to campus yelling goodbye to Jason as Ihead out the door. "I have to let her go. I have to get over her," I repeat tomyself over and over. I cant help but think if maybe I would've tried to makethings right sooner she would be here with me, starting our new beginningstogether, instead of California. I wipe the tears from my eyes and make my wayto my English class. I just want my mermaid back.

A/N I would really appreciate your feedback. Let me know what you think so far? What is something you would like to see happened. There will be a lot of twist and turns and mountains that the girls will have to climb to get to their happy ending...well that is only if fate is on their side...haha..I am really enjoying this. Thanks to those who took the time out to read!! :)