twenty six

"Because I'm still in love with her," he said, laying his head onto the pillow below him.

"You're lying," I said, my heart immediately filling with jealousy and fear.

"I know," he responed, a light smile gracing his lips. "It's really because I'm supposed to be marrying her-"

"What?" I asked, the situation already giving me a headache and making me angry.

"Let me finish," he said, his eyes telling me to listen. "We used to date a while ago, and my parents really liked her. Mostly because she's the previous Betas daughter. Long story short, I couldn't handle her anymore and we broke up. Fast forward a year later, my parents said that if I️ didn't find my mate within the next coming years, I was going to marry her, and she would be Luna."

I sighed. Loudly.

"This is why I don't trust you," I️ said. "You never-"

"Anyway," he said. "She's quite irritating, and that's part of why we broke up. And now that she's done this..." I could visibly see him getting angry.

"What?"

"I'd kill her now if she was here but I️ graced her another day," he said. "Shes so fucked up for doing that to you."

"So you're not in love with her?" I asked, my heart beat slowing down.

"Not in the slightest, Eve," he sighed. "My focus is on...." he trailed, but I knew what he was going to say. "Now sleep. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

"Whatever," I said, my eyelids closing, and sleep surprisingly, but inevitably taking over my body within minutes.

*
*
*

"Please, no," I screamed out into the darkness. It felt like I was trapped, like the walls were closing in on me, and there was no escape.

"Help me," I cried out, the walls so close my arms outstretched could feel them closing.

I let out a blood curdling scream, as the darkness fully took me, and there was nothing of me left.

*
*
*

"Eve," Kal roughly shook me awake. "Eve, wake up. You're dreaming."

My eyes shot open to meet his deep green ones peering over top of me, his left arm around me, eyes full of concern.

"You were having a nightmare," he said, "for the eight time."

"Eighth time?" I asked, my heart still beating fast from the dream, and my voice still tired.

"Yes," he started. "And I'm not letting you fall back asleep again."

I peered our the window to see that the sun was rising, then turned to the digital clock on his dresser that read, 7:52AM.

"I'm sorry," I said, "I had a dream where-"

"The walls were closing in on you?" He finished.

"Yeah...how did you know that?"

"You told me the first time, then the second, then the-"

"Okay, I get it," I said, but I didn't even remember waking up during the night. All I could remember was- I stopped myself. "Did I disturb your sleep?"