Chapter nine

It was another school week for Glimmerdale high, and the sun was shining high up in the sky. Students started going out of cars or school buses or from the side (they'd walked to school), filling the corridor through the doors. Lucas, with his hands in his pocket, walked towards his locker. He opened it and left his things, but brought his books for school. Before he closed it, he hesitated, and looked behind him. There was Hayley, doing the same, getting different books as she was a year under him. His face was in thought, but he turned around again and closed his locker. At the same time, Hayley looked around. Her eyes caught onto Lucas walking away. She walked towards him.

"Lucas?" She said.

Lucas turned around.

"Hey." He said.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, why would I not be?"

"You're acting a bit weird."

"I'm fine. Really."

"Are you? 'Cuz you've been avoiding me since you left that bitch. When I sat with you and talked."

Lucas was taken aback.

"I'm sorry." He said. "I...just had things going on."

"Is it that? Or the fact that you know I like you?"

"What?" Lucas said immediately, dumbfounded.

"I get it. Okay? I do. You don't like me like that."

"What?! No, no, I just..." His voice faltered.

Hayley sighed.

"It's fine. I knew you didn't."

"Hayley, it's not like that-"

"Like what? Are you just half-liking me? A bit? Or you can't just say it because you're scared of people knowing?" She shouted. They were creating a scene.

"No! I'm not scared!" Lucas said back.

"Then what is it?!" Hayley exclaimed.

He was shocked, taken aback. He couldn't think of anything to say.

The bell rang, and everyone was back to normal, except Hayley spun around and walked away. Lucas moved to catch her, but missed. She moved quicker, but eventually he was able to grab her arm.

"Let... go!" She said, flailing her arms, trying to get out of his grasp. She kept her eyes forward.

"No, I'm not letting go." Lucas said.

She continued trying to get away. She took one look back, but was surprised at what she saw.

Lucas was crying.

Her friend, one of who wasn't much of a tear-jerker, was pouring out for her. Her struggle lessened. Her eyes watered very slightly.

"I... I have to go to class." She said. Lucas' grip loosened, and she gently took her arm out and walked to her class. The once packed hallway is now empty. Lucas ran to his chemistry class, knowing very well that he was running late.

•••••

Angelica couldn't stand her friend (and current lab partner)'s face during chem. class. "It's weird, the two were such good friends." She thought. Lucas was trying to pour vinegar into a vial, but his hands were shaking slightly.

"Here, I got it." She said as she took the beaker of vinegar and the vial from his hands.

"I was doing good there." Lucas says, his voice weak.