Chapter 20

Quick announcement, I just added something to the character analysis. Check it out. Now, back to the regular program.

Lucas' jaw dropped, his eyes almost as wide. It was Angelica's father on the floor, dead. Hidden behind the dark shadows of the room, beside the sofa, he laid in his own blood.

"What..." Hayley said, surprised as well.

"Call the... t-the police." Lucas finally said, setting down Angelica on the sofa, and walking over to the body. He was still dazed, his breathing was heavy, and (if you didn't catch that), he was scared.

This was crazy! Who had killed him? The only culprits were Gene's goons. But this was too far for them.

They definitely do torture. Poor Angelica.

Hayley spoke out loud from the sofa, resting Angelica's head on her lap.

"They're coming. We just have to wait." Hayley said.

Lucas sighed. It was going to be a long day.

•••••

"Cristina Thomas must break up with her boyfriend tomorrow. Got it?" Chris grunted, and closed his eyes. "Deliver as planned, and she lives." Gene said. "And you know what happens if you fail." And with that, she disappeared.

Sighing, Chris went inside his house then, his mind full of questions and thoughts, and was to go straight up to his room.

"Hey Chris?" His mother said when he was halfway up the stairs. "You ready for dinner?"

"Yeah." He said after a puff of air escaped his mouth.

He sits down for dinner, passing by his sofa and an old bird clock, reading 6:00 and walks into the kitchen. His mother gets their dinner from the countertop at the corner and places it in the table. Under the white light, they sit around the square table, eating meatloaf.

"So, how's your date?" His mother said.

"It was okay."

His mother looks at him quizzically.

" 'Okay?' Thats it?"

"Well, I brought her home today."

"Okay... good."

They were both silent.

"So," His mother said, breaking the silence, "you're late today."

"Oh, yeah." Chris answered, hesitant to continue on.

"Crap, I shouldn't have said that." He thought.

"I... uh... I was just at Lucas' practicing for the video game tournament." He continued.

"Okay..."

Silence settled in the house, aside from the soft hum of the washing machine in the back.

"Who was that girl outside?" She then asked.

Uh oh.

"Oh, that was just one of my classmates. It's another school project we're having." He said as he forked his meatloaf.