Chapter 16

Lucas woke up calmly to a white ceiling, with an IV bag hanging on a pole at his side. His head hurt like a cracked egg, and his body was on fire.

"Ow." He said out loud.

"Oh my god, Lucas! You're awake!" Hayley exclaimed.

"Hey, uh, I guess I am."

Hayley hugged Lucas tight, but was unexpectedly more painful than expected.

"Owowowowow, my body still hurts!" Lucas exclaims.

"Oh, sorry." Hayley said, letting go.

"Hey buddy." Julian said. "How you doing?"

"Good. Where are Clary and Chris?"

"I don't know." Said Hayley. "They just... left."

There was a short silence.

"I'll go get the doctor." Julian said. He walked out the door to the nearest doctor.

"Well, at least you guys are here."

"Yeah."

Another silence settled.

"What time is it?" Lucas said.

"We just finished school on a Thursday."

"Damn," Lucas said, pondering, "I was asleep for 2 days."

They didn't talk for a while.

"So, uh, are you feeling better?"

"My body aches. I have a stupid itch on my leg. And... am I in a big cast?"

Lucas realized he was wrapped in the cemented container, unable to move.

"Fuck." Lucas exclaimed. "How bad is it?"

Hayley hesitated. "Lots of bones... cracked. You've twisted some bones and gotten unconscious from hitting your head against the window. Basically, it's pretty bad."

Lucas sighed. He had realized he couldn't raise his head, but it was mostly because he was weak in the muscle and overall tired.

"The good news is that-"

The hospital door opened.

"Oh, Lucas! So glad you're awake." The dark skinned Dr. Robinson said. He walked in followed by Julian.

"Hey doctor."

"Sorry if I interrupted something."

"Just telling him the good news about his recovery."

"Ah. Continue then."

"You're a fast healer, and your bones are strong as well. You're skull is intact, and you're going to be out in under a year."

"What?! How is that okay?"

"Well, it would take others longer, and some people wouldn't even have made it in your conditions." The doctor said.

"The girl in the other side was hurt less, as she was not directly hit in an impact. She's unfortunately not that strong, so she'll be out the same time as you."

"Okay." Lucas replies. "So do I wait in here for under a year?"

"Yes. We'll try to release you sooner, but I'm relying on your friends for that one." The doctor said, motioning towards Hayley and Julian.

"We need to make a safer environment for you. At least until you grow as strong as you can be."

"Sure doctor. You can count on them, they've cared for me ever since." Lucas says.