Chapter 21: Valentine's day Part 3

Clary stood still as the car went closer and closer. Everything seemed to slow down gradually. Her face, emotionless as a rock. The one in the car breathed heavily. The ones outside were all surprised and scared. She then closed her eyes, staying strong. Her faith in the one driving the car, one of her best friends, was not misplaced even in these moments.

A few milliseconds now until the car could hit her. It was so, so close.

The tires screeched and the car lightly pressed against Clary's stomach. Everything was silent for a while.

Life suddenly continued in its normal speed.

She opened her eyes and looked through the windowshield of the car in front of her. Lucas looked back at her, his eyes a tinge of sadness. Her pupils reflected the feeling. Chris let out a breath, his view still attached to the two on the driveway.

Slowly, the car had rolled back a few inches away from her. Clary had forgotten to exhale during the near-death fiasco. She breathed out slowly as her hands went down as well. Lucas' parents, with Clementine in tow, walked to the car, and Chris slowly walked to Clary.

She had taken a few steps back to leave her more space from her and the car.

And what a mistake she had done.

The car then veered to the side, going onto the neighbor's grass lawn, and crashing and flattening their mailbox. They watched as it drove off and turned right once past the school, following the direction of the van that housed Angelica.

"Lucas!" his mother screamed. They all went on the road, looking as the car sped away. They were stunned, staying in place until he was out of sight. "Dammit." Chris muttered under his breath.

Clementine then walked close to the couple in the silence that settled that moment. "Well," she said, "at least he didn't run over our lawn.

•••••

Meanwhile...

There was a knock on the door. Julian walked down his stairs speedily, expecting Hayley outside. He hit the ground floor, and ran around to his door.

He grabbed the doorknob and swung it open. "He-"

This isn't Hayley.

It's Genevieve.

"What the hell are you doing here?! My girlfriend could see you here!" Julian whispered.

"Not if I go inside, idiot." Gene whispered back.

He had a look of disbelief, but looked around before pulling her inside.

"What the hell do you want?" Julian said after closing the door.

"Well," she started with a huff, "your last job was surprisingly a success. I'm giving you another one."

Julian let out a slow breath through his nose.

"What is it?"

"You can drive, can you?"

"Yeah." he said, resisting his urge to crack and sound vulnerable. "Why?"

"We're transporting Angelica to one of our warehouses."

His eyes widened in shock.

"What?! Hell no! I'm not doing that to my friend."

Gene chuckled.

"You already know that you can't stop me from making you."

Julian was silent, weighing his options.