Chapter 2

A Beast In Human Form

"Zero! Skipping out on duty is bad enough! Now school?!" Yuki said as she raced after Zero to the front of the school. Zero rolled his eyes and looked at Yuki. He sighed and took out a piece of paper from his dark trench coat.

"Im not skipping. I have a mission. As a hunter." Zero shoved the paper back in his coat and continued walking.

"A Hunter? Zero- "

"Its fine. Go back to class Yuki." Zero gave his stern voice in attempts to drive Yuki away. But it only made her want to follow him more. She stopped and gletched her fits.

"You better be back for duty disciplinary committee member!" Zero kept walking and Yuki reluctantly turned away and started to go back to class. But what Yuki would probably never know was that Zero looked over his shoulder to her and smiled.

An hour or so later, Yuki sat at her desk with her arm keeping her head up and gave a sigh. She looked out the window to the town that seemed so small from here. And then - as Yuki would do - she ran out of the academy, down the steps, through the woods and to the town to find Zero.

Yuki kept running and running till she caught her breath at a bench. She heaved and huffed until she could steady her breath. Then she noticed that for the first time in awhile she was outside the academy. It was getting dark. She cursed herself for being afraid due to the fact she thought that this particular fear was past her. As she was being swallowed up by her thoughts she was interrupted by a red streak flash by her face. She had realized it was young boy and a balloon as she followed its direction with her eyes.

She saw that the boy had lost it in a tree. She thought it strange for the boy not freak out about but just stare at it. "Do you want ypur balloon?" Yuki asked as she walked over to the boy. His response was nothing more than to slide his eyes to Yuki and slide them back to the balloon. Yuki took that as yes, hopped up, snatched the string, and handed to the boy. "Here. Dont you want it?" Yuki gave the boy a smile and stretched it to the boy. The boy ran away and Yuki followed. "Hey! Wait! Are you ok?!"

The boy finally stopped and was faced away from her. He stood at a very old, broken, bell tower. Practically falling apart. No. It was. There was rubble all around it. "You want your balloon?" The boy looked over his shoulder with a head tilt and turned to face Yuki. He slowly made his way to her and reached for the balloon. "Its ok. Go ahead and take it." The boy looked up at Yuki and forcefully grabbed her hand with the sudden claws that had grown from his nails. With a scream Yuki had been bitten by the newly reavled level E.

°°°°

Zero stepped out of the gate of cross academy and to his surprise he saw Yuki still walking back to class. He was sure he was going to have to yell at her or something but no. She complied to his request. Well maybe she had complied because he hadnt really requested it. He had to admit sometimes he felt bad for pushing Yuki away, but it was for the better. He feared if he had ever let her in deeper he would give in to the beast inside him.

He walked all around the town looking for anyone suspicious. But no such luck. He didn't even sence any vampire presence. He walked past a noodle shop and could help go back to it. He sat down at the counter, made his order, and watched the cook prepare his meal. As the cook scooted the bowl to Zero, Zero noticed a boiled egg in the noodles. "I didnt- "

"You looked a little down in the dumps. So I threw in a boiled egg, on the house." The cook replied. Zero smiled a bit at the egg. He was glad that there was still kindness in the world. Kindness and warm hearted like...