23

Luffy and Sabo were both charging ahead, extremely excited about going hunting. They both got a spear, even though none of them needed one. Koala and Nami, who were forced along, made sure to fall a few steps behind so they could talk, like they initially planned to do, but well, seeing as how Luffy always preferred to do things with everyone, they were left without other options.

-Why are they even that excited? I don't get it, Nami sighed while watching the two brothers happily chatting while on the lookout for some delicious beasts.

Koala let a somehow nostalgic smile imprint on her face. Nami didn't know, as Luffy never talked about his past, but Sabo wouldn't shut up about their adventures as kids. How they used to steal food from prestigious restaurants in the town, how they defeated the tiger that no one was able to defeat, how they helped the old pirate who once challenged Roger build his ship and go out at sea once more, how they built their tree fort and how they were separated. That one last story Sabo only told once after he regained his memory. He said at that time that he thought that it must've been the hardest for Ace, as he would've ever cried or show grief in front of Luffy in order to protect him. She remembered him saying that he must've suffered a lot on his own so he could protect Luffy from staying locked inside again.

-This is what they always did when back on the island where they met, Koala spoke, catching Nami's attention. Sabo always tells me those stories when he has the time to. The three of them were always together in the forest, fighting every beast they found. That's why Luffy and Sabo are so excited now, but... there's a blank space now. She made a short pause here. Even she found it hard to talk about how those brothers' story. That's probably why we were forced along, she then continued. They tried to fill the gap by having a close person they really care about around.

The orange haired girl, as she had now stopped talking, looked at her new friend and gave her a kind, reassuring smile when seeing a tear roll down Nami's cheek.

Nami could recall Usopp once telling her that, back on the island where she lived, Nojiko told them everything that happened when she was a kid, but Luffy wouldn't want to hear it. Even so, having no clue on the actual situation, he charged ahead with conviction and gave everything he had in the fight, all for her sake. She didn't know much about his past, either, but there were times like those when he needed her by his side, so she didn't think twice before making a few steps and reaching Luffy's side. Wiping away her tears, she smiled so bright as she spoke:

-I want to help hunting too. Let's do it together.

Her so simple words brought so much light to Luffy's face, who really hoped from within his heart for his navigator to join him and his brother. He grinned widely and nodded as an almost unnoticeable blush appeared on his cheeks.

-Now give me that, Nami said while snatching the spear from Luffy's hands. You won't be needing it, anyway, she then smirked, making Luffy laugh.

Koala, now left behind alone, watched Luffy's hand as it took Nami's and smiled. She didn't even now what was behind that smile of hers. Might've been happiness for the two, maybe a little saddens that she had no idea where came from. Maybe she was a little bit envious or maybe she was just watching a distant love story that she wasn't part of. She had no role to play in it and that was all. She was like the narrator, watching, observing from afar while knowing everything about the characters.

^^^

-What is it? Hancock asked as soon as the young woman entered her room, breathing heavily with shock imprinted on her face.