Epilogue

Luffy jumped off of the ship and charged ahead with a smile on his face and nostalgia in his soul.

-Oi, Luffy! Sabo called his little brother. Slow down, will you? Ace isn't going anywhere, you know?

-Shishishi! I know. But still, let's go faster. C'mon!

Sabo chuckled while making a few bigger steps to reach Luffy's side. The same old Luffy! Even if time has passed and he had grown into a fine man, the raven haired boy hadn't change in the slightest. That huge, happy grin on his face seemed to never disappear, he was still mostly thinking with his stomach and that specific cheerful, childish attitude was still in it's place.

The two brothers made their way to the top of the hill. The weather was warm and nice as the sea breeze blew Luffy's hat off of his head, making it hang on the string surrounding his neck. It was a cloudy day, the sun hiding behind the huge clouds covering the sky, making the heat of the summer easier to cope with. The air was a little wet and it looked like it was about to rain. Even so, not a single drop of water fell from the sky. It truly was a perfect weather for the moment both Luffy and Sabo have been so looking forward to.

-We're almost there! We're almost there!

The raven haired boy couldn't stop shivering with excitement. It wasn't the kind of excitement he had before a fight against a worthy foe, nor was it the kind of excitement he had when Sanji would cook his favorite meat. It was something new, that he couldn't recognize. He wanted to get to the top of the hill faster, but there was also something inside him that didn't want to get there at all.

-I can see it! It's right there, he said while making a few bigger steps to reach the top.

Portgas D. Ace

A ray of sunshine pierced through the thick cloud and fell on the memorial stone, putting a nice, golden light on the red necklace hanging on the grave.

Luffy just then understood why a part of him never wanted go there. If he would've lived his life without ever seeing that grave, that small, yet strong spark of hope would have never left his soul. Hope that, maybe, someday, just like Sabo, Ace would appear in front of him with a smile on his face and with his arms wide open. But now that he was standing right in front of the resting place of his dead brother, that last, tiny hope perished and it was heartbreaking.

Neither Sabo, nor Luffy could say anything. They just sat there, one next to each other, in front of their brother and didn't do anything else for a long time. By the time Luffy finally opened his mouth to speak, the clouds on the sky had been blown away and the sun was setting, shooting colorful lights on the twilight sky.

-Say, Ace! What do you think of it? I made it! the Raven haired boy grinned. I am the Pirate King! Shishishi! I finally achieved my long cherished ambition! You might not be here to see me, but I'll tell you everything when we see each other again. And at that time, the three of us will be together again!

Luffy's voice didn't break while saying those words. He didn't tear up, nor did Sabo. They didn't find those words sad or painful, because they knew that time will come.

-Dad!

A child's voice echoed on the hill as the little girl threw herself into her father's arms. Luffy showed a big, warm smile as he placed a kiss on his daughter's forehead.

-We've been waiting for hours for you to come! What have you been doing up here all this time?

-Now, now, Rouge! Luffy and uncle Sabo haven't seen their brother in years, Nami said while reaching Luffy's side.

Luffy smiled even brighter and pulled his wife into a warm kiss. It all felt so well, almost like a dream. A god damn beautiful dream. Almost as beautiful as the ones with meat!

-Let's go home on the Sunny! Sanji's waiting for you with Sea King meat.

-MEAT! I can't wait! I missed Sanji's cooking so much!

-You've only been with the Revolutionary Army for three days! Nami giggled at her husband's excitement.

-Shishishi!

Sabo watched the three walk away while Luffy's laughter echoed on the hill. Then, he turned around to look at the grave for one last time.

-Rest assured, Ace. I'll take good care of our little brother.

Those being said, he smiled and turned around.

-Oi, Sabo! Hurry up! Sanji's cooking Sea King meat for dinner! Luffy called to his brother with star shaped eyes at the thought of the delicious meal waiting for him on the Sunny.

-I'm right behind you, the blonde man chuckled while watching Luffy and Nami both holding one of their daughter's hands and he thought that that might have been the most beautiful sight he had ever seen.

•••

Well, guys, this is it! I want to thank you again for reading this story and for not letting my efforts go waste. I love you all for that!

I'd like to especially thank those who made my days with those comments!

elisapaja

Angiebabs

paigemelinda

CesarDSizun

kmslh8

madurayprineshan

DipstickMadden23

Y'all are the best!