Chapter 13

"We're here."

"Already? I'm nervous..and excited. I'm 'nercited'."

"You'll have time to compose enough words to make your own dictionary later. Right now, we have a function to attend."

"Right. Just give me a moment to do some breathing exercises," Rachel sucked in a breath, eyes closed. "In," she waved her hand upwards, like she was directing air into her nostrils,"out. In. Out. In. Ou-"

"Stop it already!"

Rachel opened an eye. "Tsk. Tsk. So impatient."

Grace rolled her eyes. Rachel brought out her very immature side. She gestured towards the mansion. There were roughly a dozen cars packed outside the large estate. From the looks of things, the party wasn't a big one. Gifted was very selective about everything- from the actors in her movies to those invited to her functions. This one was one of her annual functions, and Grace couldn't be more pleased about being invited for the first time. Her chit chats with Daniel were eventually paying off.

"Okay, I'm ready," Rachel said.

"Finally."

Grace signalled to Yinka and he opened the car door. After alighting, they paused. Grace's eyes scanned the place for cameramen, but she saw none.

This function is more secretive than I thought.

"Errr, where's the paparazzi?" Rachel asked as her eyes roamed the compound. The mansion was exquisite-painted in dazzling white and cream. The sun was already setting, but light rays reflected from behind the house, beautifying it even more. There was a simple fountain in the middle of the compound, with statues all around it. Grace was especially interested in one of them- a woman that stood tall, eyes staring into the distance, posture depicting pride. The sort of pride that said,'I went through hell to become who I am now.'

"Not here," Grace said as she approached the entrance. Rachel hurried after her.

"No paparazzi? Who's going to take my picture? Is all this-" she gestured to herself, "for nothing? "

"You took, like, a million pictures before we got here," Grace pointed out.

"Nah. Just around fifty."

Grace shook her head, but Rachel kept babbling.

"But it's not like taking headline-worthy pictures! I can picture the titles- 'New Sidekick?'" Rachel gestured animatedly with her hands. "Grace and Rachel takes-"

Grace sighed. "Rachel. This is a huge opportunity for me. Don't ruin it."

Rachel stopped babbling, having noticed how serious Grace had become. They stepped into the mansion and Rachel gasped.

The living room was large. The house looked good from the outside,but on the inside, it was magnifique!

The walls were patterned,but with one dominant colour-royal blue. The heavy curtains were of the same colour, but tapered with gold. The floors were tiled a navy blue colour, and the settees had colours ranging from black to cream.

It wasn't a bright(or gaudy) arrangement. Not at all. It was exotic and calming-the sort of place you'd want to be in after a rough day. The paintings on the wall also spiced it up,especially one of a Yoruba woman dancing with reckless abandon, her ofi and ileke boasting of her tribe.

Grace smiled. Yoruba culture was rich in every way-the food,dance,music,dressing... Even the marriage ceremonies. She'd attended a few indigenous ones years before. The arrangement and dressing of the couples had never ceased to amaze her.