Chapter 22

"He took my career, and my dignity."

Grace winced as the recorder played, revealing it all to the ears of people she barely knew. The courtroom was filled to the brim with fans- surprisingly, some people still believed her to be innocent- and a few reporters. The police were outside, keeping the swarming crowd at bay. It had taken a lot of effort to put them in order.

Grace struggled to breath as she fidgeted. She didn't want this. She didn't want to be humiliated in front of people she didn't know. Though she had taken care not to look at anyone directly, she was sure she didn't know a greater percentage of the people seated.

"He drugged me, and took advantage of me."

The court gasped, shocked as her shaky voice spat out the truth.

"What? He raped her?"

"No way! Oníró(liar)."

"Mr. Daniels couldn't have done that!"

"She's just faking a story. She's an actress, remember?"

"It may be true. She couldn't have killed him just like that."

The whole place was turned upside down as they expressed their opinions. Some were shaking their fists at her, even going as far as cursing her. Grace looked away, blinking back tears. Hadn't she cried enough already? She was sure there was very little water left in her due to the gallons of tears she had shed. Grace sucked in a breath. There was no use crying now anyway. She was done for. Who would believe that the so-called benevolent Daniel Daniels would have harassed her? She shook her head. She had no hope. Since the day she had been told about the date when she would be taken to court, she had braced herself for the judge's imminent verdict. It could be death, or life imprisonment. Grace hoped it was the former. She had nothing to live for, anyway.

"Order!"

The uproar reduced, though some still talked in low tones.

Bola sat holding Rachel's hand, praying that somehow, God will perform a miracle. They had no one else to rely on.

"So, you're saying that Mr. Daniel harassed your client?" The judge asked after the recorder had stopped playing. She was a fifty-year old woman that seemed small in the large gown. Small, but imposing.

Mr. Wasiu stood, adjusting his lawyer's garb. "Yes, your honour."

"Are you aware that this isn't enough proof?"

Wasiu nodded solemnly. "I'm aware of that, my lord. But, this is what happened. I spoke with my client, Miss Adeyemi, and she confirmed it. Mr Daniel was-"

"Objection, my lord," the prosecutor- a middle aged man with a potbelly - stood abruptly. "There is no proof that Mr. Daniels harassed her. He was a good man while alive. I'm sure the people here agree with me," he gestured to those seated.

"Yes, it's true," some replied, nodding their heads in support of the Prosecutor's statement.

"Objection sustained."

The judge peered at Wasiu through her glasses. "Do you have any other witnesses?"

Wasiu inwardly cringed. This wasn't a good sign. Despite everything, he had found nothing solid to prove Grace's innocence. He sighed in defeat. He wasn't used to losing cases. He opened his mouth to say no when-

"I'm sorry for being late. The traffic was horrible."

A hundred heads turned to see the newcomer.

Simply dressed in a dark green blouse and a black skirt, Cassandra stood near the entrance. No one said a word as she strutted to the front.

Grace stared at her, mouth hanging open. What was Cassandra doing here? Was she there to insult Grace for murdering her ex, or to gloat at her downfall?