Chapter 20

(You guys should really check out "Tears of Summayah" by @oluwatimileyin11. If u like reading unique books with interesting plots, you would definitely love it!)

"How did he betray you? What did he take from you?"

Grace gritted her teeth. "My career. And my dignity."

Bola exchanged looks with Rachel. What was Grace going on about? Her career had plummeted because of her inactivity,so what did Daniel have to do with it?

"What do you mean he took your career?"

Grace stared into the distance,jaw set,eyes dead. "It was him. He ruined my career. He ruined my life!" She was breathing heavily,and her hands were shaking at her sides.

Dear God,calm her,Bola prayed. Grace needed to be calm enough to tell them everything.

"And your dignity?" Bola asked,holding her breath.

Grace's lips quivered,and her eyes moistened. "He drugged me. And then-"

"And then what?" Bola urged, desperate for an answer.

"And then he-"

"Time up!" A policeman approached them,ready to usher them away from the cells.

"No! Please give us a minute," Bola pleaded.

"Please,Sir," Rachel added,staring at the man with the best pitiful look she could muster. She hoped her tear-streaked face would be enough to sway him.

"You've been here long enough," he said in a serious tone.

God please soften his heart. We need more time! Bola prayed earnestly. They were so close to getting an answer,they couldn't back down now. Who knows if they would be allowed to visit her again?

"Sir," Bola said,holding the man's gaze. His expression softened,and he nodded. "Make it quick."

Bola heaved a sigh of relief.

"Thank you sir!" Rachel gushed at the same time Bola said,"God bless you."

They waited till the man was out of earshot before turning back to Grace,who hadn't said a word since he arrived. She was still standing, staring into the distance, her eyes damp.

"Grace? He drugged you?"

Grace nodded. "The wine. He drugged the wine,and then," she looked at Rachel,then at Bola,"he took advantage of me," she whispered, choking on a sob.

"He raped you?"

Grace nodded,and began to cry. "He took my career from me because- because he wanted me to go to him. And I did. For help. Then he- he-" she sank to the floor,sobbing uncontrollably. "I didn't even know anything! I just- just woke up and saw- that I was in a strange room and-" her shoulders shook as she trailed off,crying into her hands.

Rachel was sobbing as well,she was so unprepared for all this. It all seemed like a movie,like someone would soon yell "cut!" and this whole nightmare would be over. But it wasn't, and that was what Rachel found difficult to handle. She reached out and patted Grace's shoulder between the bars,her heart breaking at the sight of her mentor on the floor of a dirty cell.