chapter ten // explode

Pete's POV

Pete's POV.

"can i walk you home?" the boy picked up his hat, letting his auburn hair fall onto his head before setting the cap back.

"i d-don't think i can h-handle going home right n-now."

a fucking angel, that's what he was.

"why don't we go to the park, yeah?" he nodded meekly, as we made our way down the street. luckily, the park was only a few blocks away.

"are you cold?" he shook his head, pulling his jacket closer.

once we arrived to the park, we both took a seat on the swings, as i admired the quietness whilst trying to forget today's events.

"how are you?" i asked, quickly growing tired of the quiet.

"i-i just s-stood there and-" he took a breath before fragile tears and tiny whimpers escaped him. "-and i-i just did nothing."

"it's ok pat-"

"it's not. it w-won't ever b-be. nobody d-deserves those scars."

"he's going to be fine. okay? you just have to hope."

"what if y-you're w-wrong? you can't b-base everything o-on hope."

"trust me, i know. but you have to, for now."

"i don't l-like b-being happy all the time. i want t-to cry and be sad t-too."

"you're too young to be crying. you have to spend your time focused on good things-- great things."

he looked at me like i was crazy-- a false hope. it was too bad that somebody as nice and caring as him could break down like he was now.

he really was porcelain. like a beautiful, intricate vase waiting to be destroyed, pushed, and decimated.

it was heartbreaking and heart-wrenching.

"you remind me of a vase." i said out loud, without even thinking.

"w-what?"

i bit my lip, trying to think of a way to explain myself.

"you're strong and pretty and intricate and all things great." i started, as patrick stared at me with the widest and most hopeful eyes i had ever seen.