chapter fourteen // 'til we get by

Josh's POV

Josh's POV.

"what are we?" tyler asked, eating more cookies from the chips ahoy package. "i mean, i know we aren't dating, but are we friends? or companions? or acquaintances?"

i smiled before i took a handful of cookies as well. "we can be whatever you'd like."

his cheeks and ears became crimson as he ate the sweet treats with his head down. "really?" he said meekly.

i scooted next to him before stealing a cookie from his grasp. "of course! we could be friends, or companions, or maybe even more than that," i whispered the last part, as tyler stuffed more cookies in his mouth.

he chewed and swallowed quickly before grabbing his glass of water on the table and chugging it.

"friends?" he squeaked out. "i wouldn't mind friends."

"great!" i exclaimed, putting my legs over tyler's own. "are you sure, though?" i added with a slight chuckle.

"y-yeah, i'm sure. plus, i'm already with someone?"

i smiled a bit. "whats her name?"

he looked around him before his eyes landed on his paper. "marcus? his name is marcus?" he said in a question like manner.

i nodded at his 'believable' statement before pulling out my homework. "i'm sure he's great."

he cleared his throat before reaching for his homework as well. "yeah. he's- yeah."

a few minutes of awkwardness and concentration passed by before tyler spoke up.

"do you know how to do this problem?" he asked, handing me his math homework.

i stared at the foreign numbers and symbols before nodding my head. i helped him find the answer before he smiled a great big smile at me.

"thank you, josh. i-"

"you have nice teeth," i blurted out before mentally slapping, punching, and facepalming myself. i closed my eyes in fear before moving my legs off of the smaller boy and pinching myself for being a humungous dumbass.

i opened my eyes, only to be met with a blushing and chuckling tyler.

"thank you, i guess? i don't really take care of my teeth- i mean, i do, but i do the bare minimum. well, i don't, but i-"

i placed my hand on his neck, making tyler's breath hitch.

"i also like your voice," i whispered, making the brunette blush even more.

my mouth made it's way to his ear, before i whispered six simple words.

"does marcus like your voice, too?"

once i pulled away, i noticed tyler's eyes were closed, as i moved to gather my stuff.

"i'll see you later?" i asked, moving to exit the comfy abode.