CHAPTER ONE

PETER PARKER AND JACKIE LOGAN HAD ONLY BEEN GOING OUT FOUR MONTHS, AND YET IT FELT LIKE AN ENTIRE LIFETIME IN HER EYES. The two were at Coney Island, Peter had saved an enter two and a half weeks worth of chore and lunch money so he could take Jackie out for their four-month anniversary.

Though the park had only opened up a few weeks prior, and the weather was still cool, people- "Tourists," Jackie growled as another French woman walked slowly in front of her -were everywhere.

The pair were talking about how to get out of a test he wasn't ready for a boy in Peter's school had set off the fire alarms while they waited in line for the Steeplechase, something they'd already been on half-a-dozen time but couldn't get enough of.

"Jesus Christ," Jackie breathed, shaking her head, smiling, "That's insane."

"Tell me about it, my homework got soaked. Which, alright, was better than Ned's laptop getting wet."

"So what did he get arrested or-" Jackie cut herself off, there were too many people to openly ask if Spider-Man- Peter -had done anything.

Peter shook his head, "He pulled a fire alarm not robbed a convenience store." Jackie snorted.

"Alright then did he get suspended or anything. Once again Peter shook his head.
"No, the teachers have no idea it was him." Jackie's eyebrows rose,

"Then how do you know it as him?" The pair moved forward as one group of people exited the ride and another got on.

"Ned told me and he heard from Abraham who heard from Betty who was told by Liz who was told by Flash, Jason's best friend."

"Jesus Christ," Jackie repeated, Midtown high might have been a school for geniuses but it was just like every other high school in the city. Filled with idiots and gossipy teens.

"So how's being a secretary?" Peter wondered. Ever since Mr. Matt had stopped being Daredevil and decided to just be Matt Murdock, pro bono lawyer, defender of the voiceless, Jackie, who wanted to get the service credits she needed to graduate out of the way, had started interning for him for him.

"It's busy, he's currently working on like eight different cases, basically everything his friend throws his way." Wade said he was burying himself in work rather than grieving for his crazy dead girlfriend.

Peter opened his mouth to say something else when Jackie's ringtone- the Spice Girls Wannabe -started playing. Jackie took her phone out of her back pocket and frowned when she saw the unknown number.

"Who is it?" Peter wondered. Jackie shrugged and put the phone to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Is this Jackie Logan, granddaughter to a Miguel Garcia?" A woman on the other end of the line asked.

"Yes, who's this?"

"Sweetheart, how old are you?"

"Fourteen," Jackie said slowly before once again asking, "And who's this?"

"I'm a nurse at Lenox Hospital. You're grandfather's had an accident." Jackie started swaying, the air in her lungs left but the grip on her phone tightened. She didn't notice Peter frown.

"Accident-is-is he okay?" The nurse sighed.

"You need to come down here right away, we have a lawyer on-"

"Lawyer, why would anyone need a lawyer?" Jackie shouted sharply into the phone, frustrated tears started to prick the corners of her eyes.

"Please just get here as soon as possible." Jackie's eyes flew up to Peters in a panic,