CHAPTER NINE

MATT MURDOCK, IN A PAIR OF DRESS PANTS AND A CRUMPLED SHIRT AND UNDONE TIE, WOKE JACKIE UP AT THREE IN THE MORNING TO TELL HER THAT ONCE AGAIN JESSICA JONES HAD BEEN ARRESTED.

"What do you mean Jess was arrested?" Jackie croaked, rubbing her eyes as she slowly sat up in bed.

"I mean Foggy just called-" Jackie sat up confused; how did Foggy Nelson know Jessica Jones?

"What does Foggy have to do with Jess being arrested? Did she beat him up? Did Foggy have her arrested?" Jackie shot off in an accusatory tone. If Jessica had beat Foggy up it was for a good reason. Or he annoyed her. Either way, Jackie felt, on Jessica's behalf, she should probably egg Foggy's newly leased car.

"No," Matt said running his hands through his hair, "His boss asked him to keep an eye on her, he called me when he heard she was being detained."

"Why's she being detained?" Jackie asked.

"She stole evidence in a federal investigation-"

"Jessica," Jackie groaned.

"And there was a body found in her apartment."

"Oh my god!" Jackie gasped, "Is Foggy going to tell the cops she didn't do it?"

"No," Matt told Jackie as she threw her legs over her bed, "I am. Foggy called me to help her." Jackie nodded feeling confident. Jackie had never seen Foggy in a courtroom, but she had witnessed Matt win cases time after time.

"Alright, don't let anything she says bother you. She doesn't mean it. Not really." While Jackie had never been the victim of one of Jessica's verbal slaughters she had heard about them from Malcolm and Trish. Matt smiled reassuringly at Jackie, he had met Jessica a handful of times; enough to know that the dark-haired female said things before actually thinking them or their effect on people through.

"I won't go back to sleep, I just wanted you to know where I was going in case you woke up before I got back." Jackie hummed as she laid back down and brought her stuffed unicorn to her chest.

"Have fun!" Matt laughed, spending time with Jessica Jones was never fun.

🕷

"Jessica Jones," Matt Murdock burst through the interrogation room door, "Stop talking." He threw his briefcase onto the table while trying to push down the slight feeling of happiness he got out of telling Jessica to shut up without having to worry about being hit.

"This is over," Matt told the Detective.

"What what the fuck are you doing here?"

"I'm your attorney." The Detective, with a frustrated sigh and angry click of the jaw, pushed out her chair and left the room. Matt quickly took the Detectives seat.

"I'm not paying you," Jessica told him flatly.

"You don't have to," Matt told her. Jessica leaned back in her chair.

"Why because Hogarth will foot the bill?" Matt nodded,

"And Jackie cares a lot about you-" he shrugged, "Also I'm a Catholic. I have a soft spot for hopeless causes." He flashed her a cheeky smile as he flipped open a red folder.

"So Miss. Jones, can I ask how long have you been a P.I?"

"No," Jessica snorted.

"Jackie said not to take anything you said to heart; hopefully you weren't this mean when you met her." Though he couldn't see it Jessica shot him an angry look.

"You know what, I think I'm going to find my own lawyer."

"Well, in reality, you don't need one," Matt told her, placing his hands on his knees, "After speaking to a detective outside despite the mess you got yourself into the NYPD doesn't actually have anything to hold you on so..."