CHAPTER SIX

MAY QUICKLY TURNED INTO JUNE WHICH JUST AS QUICK TURNED INTO A SWELTERING HOT JULY. Jackie sat in the back of a Hell's Kitchen courtrooms as Matt cross-examined his last witness. Sure he was a hero because he was- had been -Daredevil, but he was also a hero, Jackies to be exact, because he fought for the voiceless when the legal system and those money grabbing corporations thought they could just steamroll over those whose pockets were lined with hundreds.

"Mr. Berkowitz in your professional opinion was it good for Aaron James?" The witness, a bald man in an expensive suit and ugly tie leaned back in the witness stand and in a dull, boring voice that made Jackie have to continually repress a sigh, told Matt, and the jury, "Out sympathies go out to the family. The whole thing... It's very unfortunate."

Matt, without missing a beat asked the man, "Are you aware that the products used in your new station were hazardous to children?"

"Objection!" The man's attorney called out.

"I'll rephrase," Matt waved her off, "What's attractive about Endoprene?" Mr. Berkowitz shrugged.

"It's strong. Durable."

"And half the price?"

"Well I do run a business," Berkowitz scoffed. Matt turned to the jury.

"Is it worth endangering people in the interest of saving money?" Mr. Berkowitz cocked his head, offended.

"All materials are tested. The moment those findings were made public out company replaced that morder in all remaining stations." Matt Rested his hand on the Jury box and turned to the businessman.

"Made public," Matt echoed, Jackie smirked as her guardian wandered over to his and his clients' table, "What do you mean? Are you referring to a report released September 29th?"

"Your honor," Berkowitz red-headed lawyer called out, "He's asking my client to respond with unreadable specificity."

"Mr. Berkowitz if memory serves me right your office received a delivery from the safety commission June 3rd. Three months earlier." Matt handed a paper he'd picked up from the table and handed it to the overpaid lawyer. "I'm curious did it have anything to do with Neoprene?"

"I don't know anything about that," Berkowitz denied. Matt turned to the judge as the man's lawyer raised another objection.

"It's not about whether he received them it's about whether he willfully ignored them. Your honor, I ask this record of the delivery be admitted into evidence."

"I-I get a lot of those," Berkowitz studded, looking at the judge.

"What would you say is worse?" Matt asked, "Ignoring data in the interests of cutting costs or neglecting to supply the court with records that might prove you purposely put people in danger?"

"Including-" The redhead tried to cut Matt off, but he did what he does best and kept talking, "Including this young man Aaron James who might never walk again."

"Your honor we would like a recess!"

"No, need," Matt scoffed, "I'm done." Matt then sat next to his client as Jackie beamed at him from the back of the courtroom.

"Well then if that's all, you're excused Mr. Berkowitz, and the jury may leave to deliberate," The judge said. The twelve jurors stood up as the bailiff lead them into a side room. Jackie left her seat and crept up behind Matt while Mr. Berkowitz scuttled over to his worried-looking lawyer.

"Great closing Mr. Matt," Jackie said, she turned to Aaron James and clapped him on the shoulder, "Did I tell you he was good or what?" Aaron James smiled weakly at the girl who'd found his case.