CHAPTER TEN

MATT MURDOCK, JESSICA JONES, AND COMPANY STOOD IN STICKS MOSTLY RUN DOWN GYM WITH ONE OF THE FINGERS OF THE HAND- SOWANDE, AN AFRICAN WARLORD ACCORDING TO STICK -TIED TO A CHAIR AND BLINDFOLDED.

"How long do you think he'll be out?" Danny wondered.

"Not much longer," Jessica told him confidently.

"How do you know?" The billion questioned her. She smirked at him.

"Because this is happening." And then with a closed fist, she hit the warlord. The African man's head snapped back and as he came to he smiled bitterly at them.

"What are you doing in New York?" Danny asked.

"There is nothing you can do to make me betray my own," Sowande said confidently.  Jessica, with her hands on her hips, shrugged.

"I'm up for the challenge."

"Don't bother," Stick, Matt's old mentor scoffed, "The fingers were cast out of K'un-Lun. Which means he trained with the same monks who raised him." He pointed at Danny.

"So?" Luke wondered.

"They put us through burtal trials," Danny explained.

"It's called disapline," the finger smirked. 

"It means he won't crack," Colleen explained with the shake of her head, "Not by force."

"You know nothing of the power of the hand," Sowande told them, "You're mice who fell into a well. Belive me, this will drown you."

Matt, from behind Sowande, leaned in and lowly asked, "What do you want with our city?"

"Your city?" Sowande scoffed. "This place belongs to the Hand, it always has."

Luke furrowed his brow, "What do you mean always?" Jessica turned to him.

"I traced it back to 1820." Sowande chuckled.

"Only that far?"

"Why do you want Danny Rand?" Matt asked.

"Nothing you can do will make me serve you," Danny promised. "Do you understand?"

"Do I understand?" Sowande asked, "You are the dumbest Iron Fist yet."  

Danny leaned in, "Tell me what you want with me."

"We want the fist," Sowande answered, "You are nothing. Danny Rand failed an entire city, the place he was sworn to protect. The same way the unbreakable let that boy die in a jailcell, afraid and alone. Or the same way the woman couldn't save the architect."

Jessica turned away from the warlord.

"What's wrong?" He asked in mock concern, "Have I gotten in your head the same way he did long ago?" Jessica spun on her heel and flew at the Finger, only for Luke to intercept her before she could land a hit on the man's face.

"What about the ones you still love?" The finger asked. "What will become of them once you're gone? Who else must die because of you?"

"What are you talking about?" Luke snarled.

"The nurse, the woman on the radio, the little girl-" Matt felt his stomach twist, "They'll come for them next. How many mice must drown with you?"

Jessica didn't bother to answer, instead, she hit him hard enough to knock him out.

"He talked too much."

  🕷 

 Jackie was sitting on the couch rereading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when Matt burst through the door causing her jump nearly a foot in the air. The book hit the floor with a loud thud.