CHAPTER TWELVE

WHEN MATT MURDOCK WOKE UP IN THE HARLEM POLICE PRECINCT HE WOKE UP TO JACKIE HALF ASLEEP ON THE CHAIR NEXT TO HIM AND FOGGY NELSON RUSHING INTO THE ROOM. 

"Matt!" Jackie jumped into Matt's arms; he didn't hesitate to wrap them around her and pull her closer. Jackie pressed her face into Matt's ribs and flattened herself against him. Trish had hugged her, Malcome had hugged her, so had Jessica when she dragged an uncounous Matt into the precint, but none of them made her feel as safe as Matt's hugs.

"You're okay," Matt muttered to himself as he squeezed Jackie, "You're okay." When he'd been with the architects daughter he couldn't help but think of Jackie.

Had she been like this when her father had died? Had she been worse? She'd been much younger the archtechs daughter, and she had lost both her parents. What would happen to her if he lost to the Hand? 

His fingers dug into her back. He wasn't going to lose. No, he'd defeat the Hand once and for all, he'd save Elektra and the three of them would be a family.

"Foggy, where am I?" Matt asked after a few moments.

"Harlem precinct, private office. And if we're painting the whole picture you look like shit."

"Foggy," Jackie muttered scoldingly into Matt's chest. 

"They took your shirt for blood samples." Matt nodded. as he sat both himself and Jackie down on the couch he'd just jumped up from. He tucked her under his arm protectivly. 

"Claire and Jackie here checked you over, nothings broken, but the cops have a lot of questions."

"I wasn't wearing the suit." Though the way Matt had said it made Jackie wonder if he could remeber whatever had happend to him and Jessica and the man Luke.

"No. There is a God after all." Matt ran a hand over his face.

"Oh god," Matt gasped, "I need to go, he's in danger." Jackie's nails dug into his shirt. Go? Go where? She needed him right now. Jackie knew it was selfish to not want Matt to go save- "Danny Rand" -but she couldn't help it. She was scared, and all she wanted was her dad.

"They, uh, they took him," Matt told Foggy.

"The billionair?" But Matt's mind had already moved on. 

"Stick," Matt groaned, "She killed Stick." Matt shut his eyes tightly and sniffled. He took a deep breath in and blinked.

"Yeah Danny. They took Danny." Matt told Foggy, jumping back to his first thought.

"Who?" Jackie asked.

"The Hand," Matt told her, he turned to Foggy as he started to get up, "I have to save him from the Hand." Jackie held onto Matt's arm as Foggy moved infront of Matt.

"You are in no position to save anybody," Foggy told his best friend. "They haven't pressed charges but they found you with two dead bodies."

"I have to save him, he's the Iron Fist."

"I'm not even going to pretend to know what that means," Foggy said.

"It's a weapon," Jackie said. Matt turned to her and she shrugged, "Colleen and Claire were telling Malcome and Trish about why he was so important, 'sides from his billionaire status. I listened." Matt nodded as he put on his glasses.

"Foggy, Jackie, the person who took Danny, who did this, it's-it's Elektra." Jackie blinked while Foggy chocked on his own saliva for a moment.

"You're ex-girlfriend?" Foggy clarified. Matt nodded.

"I thought she was dead," Jackie chimed in. That's why he stopped being Daredevil, wasn't it?

"Not anymore," Matt told them, 'The Hand took her and they did something to her, she'd not herself anymore."

"Matt," Foggy snapped, "You need to take a breath. You sound insane." For once Jackie agreed with Foggy. Matt did sound insane.

"I don't care if you don't believe me," Matt told him.

"No one said we don't believe you," Jackie said to Matt softly. "Well, whatever they're going to do to Danny Rand it's not good for anyone." 

That moment Detective Knight stepped out from the interrogation room across the hall and into the room. "Mr. Murddock, you're awake. I have one of your clients passed out and the other scared shitless across the hall. I'm going to need you to answer a few questions."

"Uh, well, see," Matt stuttered, "Anything that happened is protected by atony client privilege." Detective Knight laughed humorously.

"That's cute, but cut the shit," she told him, "cause we both know you're not just a laywer in all this. You're something more." Foggy and Jackie held their breaths, "You're a person of intrest. A witness to the crime."

"Witnes," Matt scoffed, 'What do you want me to describe how they sounded Dective?"

"Perhaps you didn't hear me when I said cut the shit." The dectives eyes found Jackies.

"Now I hear they took Danny Rand, a person with that high of a preofile, If this falls back on you it's going to make your and everyone around yous life misserable." Matt stiffled and shouldered Jackie behind him.

"I want to help," matt said somewhat sarcastically and somewhat honestly, "I can't say much but what I can say is that he's in way over his head. And we need to help him."

"Mr. Murdock with all do repect, you need to start worrying about helping yourself and your daughter." Jackie couldn't help, for the first time since she'd woken up, feel happy. Someone had called her his daughter and Matt hadn't responded with a 'she's not mine' or 'she's my foster'.

"Alright," Matt nodded.  Detective Knight lead Matt- after he press a kiss to the crown of Jackie head -out of the room, and Jessica, after retrieving her from across the hall, down the hall, leaving her alone with Foggy Nelson and his whistley nasel. 

🕷  

An hour later, as Jackie was reading Jekel loves Hyde, Colleen Wing came up to her. 

"Jackie, right?" Jackie nodded, "And you're Colleen, Danny Rand's girlfriend." Colleen's neck turned red.

"That dude Matt, he's your dad right?" Jackie nodded, "And you know the woman? Jessica?" Once agian Jackie nodded. "You want to help them?"

"Of course," Jackie answered instantly.

"Then I need your help getting something." 

"What do you need?" 

"Your bag, I need to get something and I need to get a lot of it." Jackie reached for her bag and took out Steve, the rest of her books and her laptop and placed them in the spot next to her. Then she stood up.

"Okay, what next?" Colleen scoffed.

"I'm not bringing you with me, you can get hurt." Jackie shurgged carelessly, though her jaw tightened.

"I already got hurt," she told Colleen, "So you let me help you or go running to Claire saying how you  were acting weird and took my bag to get a lot of something." Colleen crossed her arms over her chest and out an impressed sound.

"Alright, but don't slow me down."

"You're the one who's stomach got torn open."

---
almost to the end of the defenders!!!!
i had off today so i thought id update!
6 comments gor the next update (and saying comment or something like that doesnt count; it doesn't give me motivation to write it just makes me annoyed)