Chapter 8

"So tomorrow, huh?" I asked standing by the couch awkwardly while Daryl sharpened his knife.

"Yeah, first one." He smirked at me, then looked back at his knife checking it's sharpness.

"Mind if I join you? My weapons," I cleared my throat," could use a tune up." I smiled. Daryl nodded, I grabbed my weapons from the antler rack by the door, setting them on the floor in the living room. Daryl handed me what he was using for his knife to use on my own, I gave him a nod of appreciation.

"So, I uh, never asked you the questions I had." Daryl said a little nervous. He glanced at me then back down at his gun that he had disassembled.

"Go ahead." I smirked kindly, as I continued to sharpen my knife.

"So you and your family were vacationing in Mexico, why?" He looked to me a little confused.

"Um." I cleared my throat as I started to rack my brain for the answer. "If I 'member right, relatives?" I said a little unsure, but also positive.

"You have family in Mexico?" He looked me over not convinced.

"Dad, Mexican, mom, French something like that." I shrugged.

"So do you know other languages?" He asked curiously.

"Um, maybe." I cleared my throat, again. "Haven't crossed anyone that speaks another language." I shrugged. At this point my throat was burning, but I was enjoying this conversation with Daryl too much.

"So after you escaped the hotel, what happened?" He asked. I looked at him, hurt in my chest that I couldn't remember. He saw my pain, looking back down at his hands. "Um, where did you come up with the tree idea?"

"Huh." I laughed a little. "Always wanted, treehouse." This throat clearing was becoming inconvenient.

"How long did that take?" Daryl asked curiously.

"Couple months?" I shrugged.

"So, now that you can answer on your own, what is your name?" Daryl asked. I looked down at the blade of my ax, running the tips of my fingers along the smooth edge, ashamed to admit that I didn't know. I didn't know why my mind was against me, why it wouldn't give important information that I needed, it was frustrating.

"I-" My voice strained. "I don't know?" My voice scratched. "I don't, uh-" I pressed my hands to the sides of my head, frustrated. "I don't remember." My voice scratched. It was silent between the two of us, neither of us said a word, no one knew what to say at this point I guess. I heard Daryl get up, I didn't look, thinking he was leaving, until I felt his hands on my arms, I looked up at him shocked.

"You're Hazel." He stated. "That's who you are, alright?" He smirked lightly at me, causing me to smile through tear filled eyes.

"Okay." I laughed lightly, throwing my arms around his neck, Daryl gently hugging me back.

——————

I sat out on the front porch as the sun barely started to rise over the walls. Daryl was still asleep. I would never tell him, but on nights when he's the most exhausted he snores, it's kinda cute I must admit. It isn't a loud snore, it's just a light one, barely audible.