Chapter 23

I spent the day pulling up the garden greenery, and burning it in barrels, it was time consuming. When I say I spent the day, I mean the whole day, my hands were on fire, my back and knees ached, until King Ezekiel pulled me aside. He had a very solemn look on his face.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I'm afraid the drop went bad-"

"Well what happened?" I asked sincerely. He rubbed his face, blinking away tears, as he looked at me.

"The drop, things went bad, Benjamin, he's dead." King Ezekiel's words sent chills down my spine, this was happening again, I just got here. "Morgan, he isn't himself, he's still out there, but I was wondering if you could talk to him?"

"I barely know Morgan, I've only been with this group a few months." I explained. "I don't think Morgan would listen to me, what about Carol?" I asked.

"I do not think she has any intention of returning." Ezekiel said in his Kingly manner. "We have another drop tomorrow, resulting in what happened today. I need you to try and talk to Morgan when he returns, please?"

"Okay." I nodded unsure.

Morgan and I had barely spoke a dozen sentences to each other, just nonchalant nothing important, but this was a big deal. Morgan was going off the deep end and I had to do something to bring him back, I had never done this before. It was sunset when Morgan returned, I spotted him leaving one of the buildings, and going to his. I hurried after him as quickly as possible, approaching his closed door, knocking timidly.

"Not now." Morgan barked from the other side of the door.

"Morgan I just wanted to make sure you're okay." I said sheepishly. I hated butting into peoples business like this, if he wanted to be alone, then I would let him be alone; I mean I tried to talk to him technically.

"They told you, about Benjamin?" He asked.

"Yes, I'm so sorry about what happened." I said with a little more confidence. "But this is what Rick was talking about, what Daryl's been talking about, we need to fight back." The door quickly swung open, Morgan looking at me flustered.

"No, I don't need anyone else dying because of the Saviors. I'm going to go after them and kill every last one of them." Morgan spoke darkly.

"Morgan you know we can help-"

"It was Richard that got Benjamin killed, he hid some of the inventory, thinking they would kill him, instead they killed Benjamin." Morgan explained. "I'll go after them." He slammed the door shut, leaving me there speechless.

I went outside, walking toward my building, this was becoming routine. Once I was inside, I spotted Carol just before she shut the door to her room. I had to talk to Carol about what happened, I know she knew about our dead friends, that's why she's here. I knocked on her door quietly, I heard shuffling around in her room until the door finally opened.

"Oh, Hazel, I didn't know you were still here, I thought you'd left with Daryl." She said surprised.

"I need to talk to you." I said solemnly.

"Come in." She stepped aside allowing me into her room. She shut the door and calmly sat down on her bed, watching me pace back and forth. "What is it?"