Chapter 27

(When the bomb goes- grandson)

Our first and hopefully last fight at the Hilltop we had with the Saviors, ended on a high note, but very quickly went down hill. We discovered the Saviors covered their weapons in walker muck, infecting anyone hurt by them. It was chaos, walkers everywhere, people screaming, and running everywhere. When it was all over it was discovered the Savior prisoners, were gone, and so was Henry. Everyone had their own concerns for Henry, not only that Tara who was also hurt by the Saviors weapons, it was just a question if she was going to turn. Sure Tara and I didn't get along, but I didn't want to see anyone else die. Things calmed down quickly once we found out Tara was fine and Carol had found Henry.

Carl was awake and recovering, and doing rather well. During the attack Carl was luckily able to move a bit and found cover in a closet with Judith and Gracie. Carl was part of our master plan, we decided to lead Negan on and tell him Carl had passed. Carl's idea. I liked the plan, seeing the way Negan talked to Carl in the brief moment I saw them together I knew Negan would be upset over the news. Carl would have another gruesome scar to add to his collection, but he was grateful to be alive. Carl would be staying behind tomorrow while we fought, he hated it, but he accepted guard duty back at Hilltop.

These back and forth battles were wearing on everyone so we decided to cut them off halfway so that our only home wouldn't get destroyed. Daryl and I had been separate for the last several days, following a very in depth plan that Rick, King Ezekiel, and Maggie agreed on. I missed him but I kept busy with blocking the route to the Kingdom, Rick came up with the idea to block all the routes from the Sanctuary, except one. We were going to lead the saviors right to us.

I was back in my old armor given to me by the Kingdom, King Ezekiel was happy to have me back even if it was for a short time. He was a mess after losing Shiva, but after the Saviors raided the Kingdom he got back his confidence. Carol seemed better after finding Henry something was different when she brought him back. We had just spent the last several days blocking off roads, everyone was exhausted, but someone had to keep watch so I volunteered. Last night someone else did watch so I could get some sleep, but of course I didn't. Not having Daryl there made it hard, I did try, but it wasn't happening. So going into this battle I would be tired but I was alert and focused.

I found one flaw in this plan, this plan could go south real quick, the saviors could have the upper hand having knowledge of the land we were still learning. We were heading for our last stand in hopes that we would walk away. Upon arrival I was happy to see Daryl, we gave each other a glance and an nod from a distance trying to stay focused. I knew things were about to be hectic. We got to our positions and awaited the arrival of the Saviors. I knew Carl wanted to be here, he had told me he didn't want Negan to die. His belief was that everybody could change and he believed Negan could. Naive kid.

The suspense would have killed me if I didn't see the Saviors approaching. A hush fell over everyone when they heard the roar of engines, half of our group was hidden in the tree line awaiting orders to attack, Daryl was with them. The Saviors stopped a few dozen yards away, just in shouting distance.

"Rick we can't keep meeting like this." Negan shouted. "We're here, now what?"

"You die." Rick threatened.

"No Rick, that's where you're wrong-" Negan started.

"I'm done listening, we're here to finish this!" Rick hollered.

"Alright, but one problem, we have unlimited ammo and you don't." Negan said smug, I saw Eugene standing next to him.

"Then we make every shot count." Rick retorted.

The Saviors lifted their guns, instead of bullets flying at us all of their guns flew out of their hands. They were screaming in pain, their hands bloody and deformed, what the hell happened? Rick gave the signal over to our people in the trees, explosions behind the Saviors went off, then the gun fire started I was one of the first to fire at Negan. The explosions disoriented most of the Saviors and we were able to mow down a good amount of them. Of course Negan was able to duck in cover before being shot, Rick signaled our group from the woods to move in. The Saviors had the same plan with a flank, a couple jeeps crammed with Saviors drove in, flanking our flank.