Chapter 20

"What an asshole." Everyone mumbled to one another. Gregory coward away from a better life that called for a little work.

"Wanna knock that idiots teeth out." Sasha shook her head.

"Yeah, well, we don't need him anyway." Daryl grumbled. As we all filed out of Gregory's office one by one.

"Yeah that's right. 'Cause we have Maggie, and Sasha, and Jesus here." Rick nodded.

"And.." Maggie started as the front door opened. "Enid."

"Hey, um-" Enid said out of breath.

"What's wrong?" Sasha asked.

"Nothing. Just, come outside." Enid smiled. All of us followed her out the front door onto the steps, a small group standing in front of it.

"What's going on?" Maggie asked as she came down the steps.

"Hey." A dark complected woman stepped forward. "If you don't remember, I'm Bertie, and I owe my life to you, twice over, a bunch of us do." Bertie explained. "Enid says that you want to get Gregory to fight the Saviors with you. Is that true?"

"Yes." Maggie answered her.

"Do you think we can win, that we really could beat them, us?" Bertie questioned.

"I do." Maggie said boldly.

"Well, Enid says you can show us the way." She sighed heavily. "I'm in." Everyone behind her mumbling in agreement.

"It's a start." Michonne said once we were out of ear shot of the volunteers.

"We'll get more." Sasha reassured.

"It still won't be enough." Michonne added.

"No, it won't." Rosita spoke up.

"Well we find the right stuff, maybe we don't need the numbers." Daryl shrugged. "Blow 'em up, burn 'em to the ground."

"You said they weren't just soldiers for the Saviors." Tara reminded us. "That there were workers there, people didn't have a choice."

"We gotta win." Daryl grumbled.

"We need more hands, another group." Rick suggested. "Negan has outposts. The geography, the distance works against us." Rick looked at Daryl and I. "We gotta get back, they come looking for Daryl or Hazel, we need to be there." Rick explained. I was behind everyone listening intently working out plans in my head.

"You don't have to get back." Jesus stopped walking, everyone looking back at him. "Not yet." He pulled a walkie from his pocket. "It's one of theirs, long range. We can listen in, keep track of them." Jesus explained.

"So, if we're not going back, what're we doing then?" Michonne asked.

"I think it's time I introduce you to Ezekiel, King Ezekiel." Jesus seemed to smirk.

"King?" Rick asked.

It didn't take much convincing to get us all into a vehicle. I didn't ask any questions, as I stayed deep in my thoughts.