CHAPTER ELEVEN: THE HOUSE ON NEIBOLT

Saturday, July 15th, 1989

 "He thrust h-his f-f-fists against the p-post, insisting that he s-sees the g-g-ghost." said Bill quietly. Holly trailed behind him silently, walking up the crooked steps. The large, abandoned house loomed over them like the Grim Reaper himself. Broken glass and cigarette stubs littered the overgrown grass and the dirt path that led up to the open front door.

     Twenty-Nine Neibolt Street.

    "Bill! Holly! You- you can't go in there, this is crazy!" yelled a voice from the road. Holly head whipped around. The voice came from none other than Beverly Marsh, dressed in a red tank top and green overalls that stopped above her knees. The rest of the Losers rode behind her, all of them dropping their bikes on the sidewalk, except for Stan who used his kickstand. 

     "Yes, I can." Bill said suddenly. Holly's eyes averted to him. "I go home, and all I see is that Georgie isn't there. His clothes, his toys, his stupid stuffed animals but... he isn't." He took a deep breath. "But what happens when another Georgie goes missing? Or another Betty, or another Ed Corcoran? Or one of us?" asked the boy, standing there in cut-off jeans and a red-and-black flannel.

     "Are you just gonna pretend it isn't happening like everyone else in this town?" Bill asked looking around. Everyone stayed silent. Bill sucked in a breath of air. "So walking into this house, for me, is easier than walking into my own." he finished, turning around. Holly stepped next to him, grabbing his hand and giving it a light squeeze. She let go as the boy she considered a brother gave her a slight smile.

     "So who's coming with me?" Billy asked, turning towards the group. Only Holly and Bev raised their hands. Bill took a deep breath. "You-you ready?" he asked to the girls. Before they could answer, Richie stepped up. "No, I'll go. Instead of Holly." he said, avoiding Holly's eyes. Eddie stepped up as well. "That's not cool! I wanna help." Holly exclaimed. "You w-will. Stay out here as  l-lookout." Bill said. Holly shook her head and walked down the stairs.

     Holly could see the fear in her best friends' faces as they walked towards the door. "You'll be okay, right?" she asked, suddenly full of fear, like a glass ready to overflow. The boys nodded and turned towards her. "Be careful." squeaked Holly. Bill nodded again, opening the door. Richie shut the door behind him, glancing quickly at Holly. 

     Beverly took a seat on the steps as her best friend sat next to her. Everyone was silent. Holly's eyes were pinned to the ground. She heard Stan next to her. "Stan." she said, her voice barely above a whisper. His head whipped towards her. "What if that was the last time we'll see them?" whispered Holly. "Don't worry, it won't be." he replied. Holly leaned her head onto his shoulder. Stan's heart fluttered at the contact and his a blush crept up his cheeks. Maybe Stanley lied.

     Maybe he still had a crush on Holly. But she chose Richie.

    He knew it was hopeless, that she was still with him even though they were fighting. They were constantly together, his arm slung around her waist. Constantly pressing kisses to her temple, in which she giggled at. Holding hands under the table, sleeping next to each other at their group sleep-overs. Stan wanted to do that to her. But Holly was his best friend, as was Richie. And friends always came before crushes.