CHAPTER FIVE: DON'T JUMP

Tuesday, July 4th, 1989

     "My grandfather thinks this town is cursed. He says that all the bad things that happen in this town are because of one thing." Mike says. "An evil thing that... feeds off the people of Derry." The Losers were sitting in circle at the Fourth of July festival. They had been talking about what they've seen, and what it could be.

      Eddie and Bill sat next to each other on a bench, while Bev and Mike sat on another with Stan on the edge. Holly sat next on a rock next to Richie who had his arm slung around her. Ben was sitting between the two benches.

"But it can't be one thing." Stan replied. "We all saw something different." Beverly was very quiet, moving her necklace around. "Maybe. Or maybe it knows what scares us most and that's what we see." Mike exclaimed. Holly nodded her head. "That's what I think." she said quietly.

      "I-I saw a leper. It was like a walking infection." Eddie blurted out. "But you didn't. Because it isn't real. None of this makes any sense! They're all like bad dreams." Stan yelled, rubbing his knees.

"I don't think so. I know the difference between a real dream and bad life, okay?" Mike said, turning towards Stan. Stanley sighed.

    "Look. You can think this isn't real all you want Stan, but it is. Beverly saw the blood, Eddie saw the leper, Mike saw the meat locker thing, Ben saw that headless kid, Bill saw Georgie, and I saw the snakes. We've all seen something, Stan, even you. You saw the painting. It's real." Holly said. She leaned her head on Richie's shoulder.

The Losers knew about Holly and Richie, Holly told them when she arrived at the fair. They were all happy for them, even Stan. Stan understood that he and Holly would never have what her and Richie had. "We're all afraid of something." Mike said. Richie turned around and looked at the stage. "You've got that right." Richie shuddered. "Alright, Rich. What are you afraid of?" asked Eddie. "Clowns." said Richie, turning back around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, July 7th, 1989

"Oh my God, Richie! Shut up! Holly yelled, slapping his arm. Richie snickered. "You know it's true! You know you want this." said Richie, pointing towards his body. Holly rolled her eyes. "C'mon, let's just go." she said. "Into the woods? Yeah, we could do it there, I guess." Richie said, wiggling his eyebrows. Holly smacked his arm again.

     "Ow! Jesus, Holland." Richie exclaimed, rubbing his arm. Holly glared at him. "Don't call me Holland." she said, walking on. Richie stuck his tongue out at her, then grabbed her hand. "Alright, Holly." She smiled and intertwined their fingers as they walked on.