CHAPTER THIRTEEN: RUBY'S BACK FOR CANAL DAYS

Sunday, July 16th, 1989

      "Hey-o, Taylor!" said a voice when Holly picked up the phone. "Hi?" Holly replied, confused. "We're almost halfway through summer and you didn't even call me? Rude. I shared my cigs with you everyday!" exclaimed the voice. Holly laughed, realizing who it was. "Sorry, Welder. I've been busy!" giggled Holly. "Yeah, I know. I had no choice but to call you! I'm getting bored." replied Holly's friend. "Get ready. I'll be at your house in twenty. We're going to the festival." said Welder.

     Holly jumped out of her bed after the phone clicked. She had slept almost all day, very tired after yesterday's events. She wanted to see Richie, but she was beyond angry with him right now. Cass came to her room in the morning. Holly told her that she's be fine. Cass and Mandy had been at the public pool in Derry Park all day. It was seven-thirty now, and Mandy was sleeping. Bill had called her at five, making sure she was okay.

     Skipping into the bathroom, she plugged in the curling iron. Holly grabbed her new acid-wash overalls and a white tee-shirt to wear, pairing them with her new red Converse Cassie had bought for her. She put small diamonds in her ears, and swiped her favorite lipstick across her lips. Holly would need a new stick soon, deciding to pick one up from Keene's in a few days.

    The girl curled her hair quickly and grabbed her yellow bag. She shoved a twenty in the front pocket and skipped down the stairs. Cassandra was walking through the door with a small yellow package and other mail in her hands. Holly followed behind her as the older girl walked into the kitchen. "What's that?" Holly asked, pointing towards the envelope.

     "It's from your mom." Cassie replied. Holly's throat hitched. The redhead opened the package and money fell out. The two girls looked at one another, dumbfounded, and then Cass counted it all. "They're all twenties. This is three hundred right here." Cass replied, waving the money around. She shoved her hand in the envelope and pulled out a note.

     I'm sorry. But it's better this way.

     Holly didn't even feel like crying. Maybe it was for the better. Cassandra walked towards the cabinet next to the sink and pulled out a galls cookie jar. Dropping the money in it, she walked back over to her cousin and gave her a huge hug. "We're fine, right? We've got enough money?" Holly whispered. "We're more than fine." Cassie replied. A knock on the door interrupted them from their hug.

     None other than Ruby Welder stepped through the door. "Hiya!" she said, waving. Holly squealed and gave Ruby a hug. "Ruby, this is my cousin, Cass. Cassie, this is Ruby. Is it okay to go to the fair?" Holly said. Cass smiled. "Nice to meet ya, Ruby. And sure. But be back by ten. You sleeping over?" Cass said, directing her question to Ruby. Ruby nodded. "Sure!" "'Bye, Cass. Love you." Holly said, stepping out the door. 

     "So, how's your summer been?" Ruby asked once the pair was riding down King Road. "Good. I've been hanging out with Bill Denbrough and his friends." Holly replied. Ruby nodded. "I heard that you're dating none other than Trashmouth Tozier." Holly blushed. "Yeah, but I'm not so sure we're even together anymore. We got in a huge fight yesterday." Ruby questioned her further. Holly filled her in on what happened, leaving out what happened at Neibolt.

     "I'm sure it'll blow over. Might even be a summer fling. But if it isn't, I bet you'll be like 'Oh, Richie!' and he's like 'Oh, Holly!' and when school comes back around you'll be sucking face in the bathroom." Ruby said. Holly laughed. "Where was your mom?" asked Welder. Holly told her what happened with her mom, Welder replying with an apology. The pair was almost to the festival when Holly spoke up.

     "Can we bring Beverly?" she asked. "Marsh? I don't really know her, but sure!" Ruby said. The two girls rode to Bev's run-down apartment on Main Street. The redhead sat on her front porch, taking drags from her cigarette when she spotted Holly and Ruby. "Get down here, Bev! We've got shit to do!' Holly yelled, laughing. 

     "Hey to you, too, Holly. And Ruby, right?" Beverly asked. "That's my name." Ruby said, laughing as she flipped her waist-length blonde hair over her shoulder. Beverly laughed and ran inside. When she stepped out, she was wearing a denim jacket, Vans and a white backpack. "Festival?" she asked. Holly and Ruby nodded. 

     As the girls passed the Falcon, which was known as the town's 'gay bar', Ruby questioned Bev. "So, you've been my replacement so far? Hate to break it to ya, Marsh, but I'm back." Ruby said, laughing. "I wouldn't say replacement, upgrade is more like it." Beverly teased back. "Girls, girls. There's enough of me to go around!" Holly cut in. The three girls laughed as they turned onto Central Street, which was were every shop and store sat.

      Groups of kids sat around the Derry Standpipe, and the small Derry Park was littered with young kids and their mothers. As the girls neared closer to Bassey Park, which was on the other end of Central Street, the groups became larger. "Which ride first?" Ruby questioned as the girl threw their bike behind The Shoeboat, Derry's shoe-store. "Hang-glider!" Bev yelled as the girls raced towards the ride.

      Their whole night consisted of going and many rides and tons of dough-boys. Ruby tried many times at Pitch Til U Win, since she played for the Derry Tigers Softball Team, but she eventually gave up. Holly was glad that Beverly and Ruby were getting along so well, they even exchanged numbers. Holly felt guilty she hadn't hung out with Ruby this summer, she really missed her. Ruby stuck by her side when the rumors started in eighth grade. They had been friends since middle school.

     Around eight-thirty, the girls decided to start heading home. They rode to Jackson Street, where Ruby lived, to get her clothes. And then it was back to Main Street for Beverly's things. The small group got to Holly's at nine on the dot. Holly and Beverly slept on Holly's bed and Ruby took the extra mattress. 

     When morning, the three girls headed to Benny's for breakfast. Mandy had gone with Cass to work. All three girls ordered pancakes and eggs on that Monday morning. The girls laughed and joked, and then Ruby had to go home at ten. They said their good-byes, making plans to hang out soon. Before leaving, Ruby passed Holly her necklace, a small rose charm. "Just in case you wanna forget me again." Ruby said, grinning. Holly took the diamonds out of her ears and put them into Ruby's.

    Holly Taylor and Beverly Marsh had no idea that it would be the last time they would see Ruby Welder alive.

     Because four days later, they would find the girl's MISSING posters all over town, her eyes shining in the photo they used. And three weeks later, they would find her body, her hand missing as well as half of her leg, in the Barrens. Ruby's eyes would no longer be shining, instead  look of fear caught them. Holly would cry and cry, holding her body, wanting nothing more than for the girl to be alive.

     But that's a story for another day, right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------y'all probably forget about ruby. look at me, posting two chapters in a day! i'm writing the next one now. please vote, comment, and follow!

-m<3