CHAPTER FIFTEEN: CARNIVALS AND PEBBLES

Thursday, July 20th, 1989

     "Want anything from the library?" Cass asked. "I don't even think I've got my library card anymore." Holly replied. Cassie flashed her 'Derry Public Library' card and smiled. Holly shook her head. "Alright, we should be back by seven-thirty after Mandy's physical. See you!" said the older girl. Holly blew kiss towards her family.  

     Holly had just finished her eye-shadow, then moved to put her favorite red lipstick on. She never went a day without it. Putting her curled hair in a half up-half down style, she layered mascara on her black lashes. Holly looked in the mirror, giving a molasses-slow smile. Her phone rang once more, and Holly ran to get it. "Hello?" she asked.

     "Hi, Hol. It's Bev." answered the girl. "What's up?" Holly asked, plopping on the bed. "Nothing much. How are you and Rich?" she asked. "Good. Richie still won't talk to Bill though, he said that Bill's 'fucking crazy' 'cause he wants to go back." Holly answered. Beverly sighed. "Yeah. Bill said that Richie's being inconsiderate. And Stan won't talk to any of us. Neither will Mike or Ben. And trying to get a hold of Eddie is a lost cause. The only one Richie will talk to is you."

      It was Holly's turn to sigh. "Have you seen any of the other boys?" she asked. "Yeah. I saw Stan in the diner and he glared at me then bolted. And I tried to call Mike and Ben and neither of them picked up." Beverly replied. Holly blew out a long breath. "We should at least get Bill and Richie to talk again." Bev suggested. "Yeah, okay. I'll call Bill. Are you going to the fair tonight?" Holly asked. "Nah, I'm staying home." said the girl. "Alright. Love you." Holly said, hearing Bev's reply then placing the phone in the cradle.

     "Hello?" Bill asked. "You need to fix whatever's going on between you and Richie." Holly said quickly. "Holly, what? It's R-Richie who was being a-a douche." he replied. "I know. But you've gotta be the bigger person. He won't apologize until you do." she replied. "Maybe I don't want t-t-to apologize." Bill answered. Holly snorted. "I know you do." There was silence on the other end before Bill spoke up.

     "He said Georgie was d-dead." whispered Bill, his voice as soft as a toddler's. " I know, Bill. I know. But we'll find him. Together." Holly replied softly. Deep down she knew that Georgie was dead, but she couldn't tell her best friend that his brother was gone. "Promise?" sniffled Bill. "Promise." The pair chatted for a few seconds before hanging up. 

     Holly decided to call Ruby and see if she was going to the fair tonight. She looked at the paper on her cork-board- sad that she forget her best friend's number- and dialed it. The girl didn't answer.

     Ruby always answered.

    Holly tried to think nothing of it, throwing on her sunshine-yellow dress and new matching Converse. Grabbing a white bag instead, she stuffed it with money and necessities, along with her lipstick. She hopped out the door, closing it behind her and riding over to Kossuth Lane.