Chapter 11

30th September 2020

ALFIES POV

"And she's pregnant." He said.

I didn't know what to think. Big fat droplets of salty tears were rolling down my cheeks.

"The baby is under great risk, there is a 50/50 chance of it surviving, if the baby does make it, there is a large chance it will have severe disabilities." He exclaimed.

I sat there with my head in my hands sobbing to my hearts content. Eventually he left. When I looked up nurse Horton was stood there with a piece of card in her hand. She motioned shush and passed it to me then walked away. I looked at it to see a scan of a baby. MRS DEYES BABY GENDER : FEMALE. It read. I could make out the little hands and feet and her head. It all was overwhelming, my wife was pregnant with our baby girl which had a fifty fifty chance of surviving and she had terminal cancer. I wiped away the tears on my face and ruffled my hair. I then got up a walked slowly back to the ward. My mum stood up when she saw me. I tried to keep it together but I just couldn't. I collapsed next to her and sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. She crouched down by me and eased the card out of my hand.

"What is so bad about this?" She whispered.

"Mum, she has terminal cancer,' I replied through my tears.

I could feel my mums head buried in my hair and her warm tears. Eventually she got upto get some coffees so I got up and walked over to grace. I held my hand over her lightly swollen stomach and held her hand in the other. There was a jerk from inside her stomach, I laughed.

" she's a strong fighter just like you babe," I laughed through my tears.

When my mum returned I took the coffee and downed it.

"Mum I am popping out to get some stuff from home and to get some fresh air" I spoke.

She nodded as I got up. I left a kiss on hers and graces cheek. And said goodbye. I strolled through the hospital to the exit. I recieved several sympathetic looks, I didn't need them though because my Gracie is a fighter.

I aimlessly wandered through the car park looking for my car. When I got in it I revved the engine and drove back to our house. When I got there Amy was with Lucy. She ran over to me and I picked her up and swirled her round. She wrapped her legs around me and gave me the biggest hug. Lucy looked at me with the I'm sorry eyes. Mum must have told her.

"Hey, Amy do you want to see your soon to be baby sister?" I asked.

Her eyes lit up as I showed her the card. We sat talking for a while. Then her and Lucy left to give me some peace.

I lifted two suitcases out of the attic and put them onto our bed. I lifted all of graces make up of the dresser and put it in hers with some of her clothes and other stuff. I put in her perfume that smelt of sweet things.

I then moved onto mine I put some pjs in and some fresh tops trousers and pants. I fished some toiletries out of the bathroom and chucked them in.

Oh crap, phone chargers. I grabbed mine out of the socket then grabbed hers out of her drawer. Something was tangled up in it. I pulled it out. My jaw dropped.

It was a positive pregnancy test.

She knew all along and she didn't tell me! I can't believe her there was something etched into the back, 25th may 2020. I was infuriated. But there was something in my mind saying that percific day was important or memorable to her in someway and I just couldn't remember.